It’s a disgrace: Royal Holloway slumps down rankings

Did you have high hopes for RHUL’s ranking? Sorry to disappoint…

Shocked Royal Holloway students have been left incensed after our beloved university dropped a massive six places in the university rankings.

According to the Sunday Times, RHUL is now only good enough for 34th place – despite being ranked at 28th this time last year.

Described as London’s “campus in the country”, Royal Holloway wasn’t even allowed 34th position for itself – we share it with the academic titans over at Aston University.

Not even Jason’s video could fire us up the table

The Sunday Times goes on to really pour salt in the wounds by ranking us at a horrendous 57th in terms of student satisfaction and a dismal 76th when it comes to prospects for the future.

Sahiba Miah, a geography student, was apalled. She said: “I would have expected them to hold their previous ranking or achieved higher because of the excellent facilities within departments.

“Something must have gone wrong when the Sunday Times were calculating these results.”

Tina Culora was also horrified. “I am really shocked”, she said. “I feel that the ranking doesn’t reflect the standard of the university and that it’s unfair almost.”

Jack Rear was less outraged. He said: “Frankly, I’m not surprised. I get 6 hours a week for £9000. What a joke.”

The news is particularly striking considering £100m has been spent in the last five years to improve the university’s status.

Academically, new degrees such as law, liberal arts and digital communications have been introduced this year.

There has also been an extension of the main library and the school of Management.

It’s not all doom and gloom though. RHUL ‘research quality’ is supposedly the 15th best in the country and Geography, History and Computer Science all scored over 95% in student satisfaction in the recent National Student Survey.

Students and staff can still hold their heads relatively high as the student satisfaction of 82.4% is better than our University of London rivals LSE and UCL.

SU President Emma Peagam was keen to highlight the positives, pointing out “the huge range of societies, we have everything from musical theatre to humans vs zombies” and that the “main building looks like Hogwarts.”

Has Royal Holloway been wronged? Let us know in the comments below.