Local Chewbacca prank becomes the talk of Portsmouth

Pictures of Chewbacca were seen throughout Portsmouth

Luke Walley became an overnight sensation after posters featuring his personal number and a £50 prize appeared around the Southsea area.

Posters included a photo of well-known Star Wars character; Chewbacca and asked entrants to call an anonymous mobile number, leaving their best ‘Chewbacca roar’ as a voicemail.

Image may contain: Human, Person, People, Vehicle, Bike, Bicycle

Friends Ollie Sandom and Luke Walley

The number in question, belonged to North London based Mr Walley, who has friends in Portsmouth.

The culprits were Ollie Sandom, Harrow based and a good friend of Luke’s, and Southsea local Sam Innes.

Image may contain: Tuxedo, Suit, Clothing, Wallet, Human, Person, People

Sam Innes with Luke Walley

Ollie and Sam, along with a handful of friends decided to reuse a prank from a few years ago.

Sam said “As a group we take it in turns tormenting each other, and we realised we hadn’t targeted Luke in a while”.

Image may contain: Poster, Flyer, Sticker, Label, Human, Person, People

The posters appeared all around Southsea and Portsmouth

They created a fake competition poster, inserted Luke’s number and allowed hilarity to prevail.

Luke received upwards of 20 calls commenting “A few people were upset about the lack of prize money, a few did actually hang up”

Ollie said “Months were spent in the planning of the Chewbacca roar competition, I would spend nights wondering how I could unite the Portsmouth community through fun and laughter”

Eventually most of the posters were taken down in both Harrow and Southsea. But not before Luke enjoyed a series of funny voicemails, most of which were very disappointing roar attempts, but a couple were entrants inviting him out for drinks.

He said “I was gutted a few of them seemed really nice, and invited me out, but where I’m not local, it wasn’t possible”

Image may contain: Human, Person, People

Friends who play together.. stay together

Luckily for his friends, Luke has a good sense of humour.

“We’ve all got that one idiot friend in the group that likes to mess with everyone, and if I can laugh when it happens to someone else, I have to laugh at myself”