Plymouth named tea-drinking capital of the UK

Bizarre survey also links tea and sex habits

newby teas plymouth sex survey tea wales welsh

People in Plymouth drink the most tea out of anyone in the UK, a new study has found.

The research, carried out by Newby Teas, found the average Plymouth resident drinks 4.2 cups of tea per day – a whole cup more than the UK average.

tea

Tea is apparently a ‘sensual experience’

2,000 over-18s were quizzed in the survey, which aimed to delve into Britain’s tea-drinking habits – but also looked for links between tea and sex.

The bizarre research also found the randy Welsh were most likely to turn down a cup of tea for a quickie – although half of them preferred a brew to wine or beer.

Tea expert Nirmal Sethia, owner of Newby Teas, said: “The people of Plymouth are on to something great – they drink the most tea and 65 per cent prefer tea to the toxicity that is alcohol.

“These patterns point to a population that has discovered the sensual experience and unity with the divine that comes from tea.

“If you don’t have time to appreciate a cup of tea, you shouldn’t drink it. Tea is only to be sipped.

“More than 50% of people in Plymouth take the time to read a book and share that quiet moment with a sensual cup of tea – a great way to appreciate every sense evocable through tea.”

Sounds about right.