Meet the really muscly MASS competitors

Contains overwhelming evidence of nurtured six-packs and bulging biceps

gym lift mass championships mr university muscles national noad plymouth university protein work out

We met the lovely guys who are taking part in the MASS Student Physique Championships in Southampton this weekend, and had a chat about muscles and getting laid – of course.

Prepping those biceps

Jonathan Fung, third year Business and Economics

How often do you train?

I usually train five times a week when I’m bulking, but now I’m in the competition phase, I train seven times a week. During the week I usually train nine to 10 times.

Do you pose in the mirror at the gym?

Oh yeah, that is true. We have to practice, there’s no other place we can practice, you have to have the mirrors around. We didn’t know what they’d (fellow gym-goers) expect. We kinda knew deep down what they were thinking  – probably that we’re like egotistic fellows.

Do your muscles get you laid?

In the gym I’ve been bulking for like three years, so I’ve been quite chubby since then, but now I’m shredded I think people have started to notice it now. So yes, two weeks ago they did.

Do you mates get jealous?

Yeah I guess so.

jon

Vote for Jonathan here.

Nathan Etherington, third year Financial Economics

How often do you train?

At the moment about 14 times a week. I get to the gym when it opens at 7:30 every morning, do my cardio, then I train weights once a day.

Do you pose in the mirror at the gym?

All the time. I think if you’ve got a competition coming up you should do it after every session. 25 per cent of the competition is the poses.

Do your muscles get you laid?

Yes.

Do your mates get jealous?

Yeah, I try not to brag about it…

nathan1

Vote for Nathan here.

Callum Bamford, first year Civil Engineering 

How often do you train?

It varies, between five to eight times a week.

Do you pose in the mirror at the gym?

Yep. I get my technique from Nathan, he teaches me how to pose. After a session I’m like, I’ll get a quick posing session in there. Originally I was a bit nervous about doing it, but once I’d seen Nathan do it a few times it gave me the confidence.

Do your muscles get you laid?

Yes. I think last night was a very relevant reason for that.

Do your mates get jealous?

I don’t know, I don’t really ask them that. I think one of my house mates gets a bit envious.

callum

Vote for Callum here.

Ryan Kirk, thrid year Computer Science

How often do you train?

Weights probably four or five times a week, and then cardio two or three times.

Do you pose in the mirror at the gym?

Erm, no…I wouldn’t say so, apart from competition times. So at the moment yes. Otherwise I probably wouldn’t.

Do your muscles get you laid?

I wouldn’t say like, based on their own, but it’s always helpful I guess.

Do your mates get jealous?

I don’t really know, they don’t say so. I get asked for advice from my friends but nothing about jealousy.

ryan

Vote for Ryan here.

Sam Chapman, third year Biomedical Sciences

How often do you train?

About five times a week at the moment, and during competition season I’ll do cardio after every training session – it’s all about being in that calorie deficit.

Do you pose in the mirror at the gym?

Do you know what, I really have done these past couple of weeks. The gym I go to are pretty chilled about it, I can strip off down to my boxers and stuff and yeah, it’s all cool.

Do your muscles get you laid?

I’ve actually got a long term girlfriend at the moment, but probably previously, yeah – it all helps.

Do your mates get jealous?

I get asked for advice, like what to do to get a different type of body type and things like that, but jealous I don’t know. It’s not something people have said, but we see preying eyes from other guys in the gym occasionally.

sam

Vote for Sam here.

James Dernier, third year Economics

How often do you train?

Every day, twice a day. I get up at 6am, do cardio, go to the gym at 8am and sometimes do cardio in the evening too.

Do you pose in the mirror at the gym?

Yes. Some of us do more than others though…

Do your muscles get you laid?

Yes and no. I’ve got a girlfriend now and before I wasn’t as big, so I don’t really know. I guess so.

Do your mates get jealous?

Yes, some of them openly say it.

james

Vote for James here.