Plymouth to host rugby superstars

Plymouth will be seeing a lot more men in shorts.

In the run up to the 2015 World Cup, Plymouth has an opportunity to host some of the best rugby teams in the world. And Tonga.

Plymouth

Our famous ocean city (a title that is getting more depressingly accurate every day as we are washed into it) has made the ‘approved list’ of team bases, where teams will train and prepare themselves for the tournament, and will now be scouted by competing nations. Some World Cup fixtures will be taking place at Sandy Park, the home ground of the nearby Exeter Chiefs.

Sandy Park

Potential teams that could be based in Plymouth include Italy, Tonga and any one of three teams that battle through the qualification stages.

Webb Ellies Trophy

The bid to be a team base was secured by a combination of Plymouth City Council, Plymouth Albion Rugby Club, Marjon and the Ministry of Defence, amongst others.

Plymouth was chosen because of its international standard treatment facilities, as well as being able to provide indoor and outdoor training grounds.

Whilst Plymouth will not be eligible to host the England team, we may yet see Sergio Parisse heading down to Cap’n Jaspers for a post training burger.

Parisse