Iffley Road Sports Centre to name new hall after Oxford grad Olympian Dr Acer Nethercott

He died two years ago aged 35

Iffley Road Sports Centre is to name its new sports hall after Olympic medal winner and triple boat race champion Dr Acer Nethercott who died two years ago aged 35.

The Oxford graduate coxed the GB eight to silver in the 2008 Beijing Olympics but missed out on London 2012 as a result of his battle with brain cancer.

Dr Nethercott coxing University College 1st VIII via ChChBC

University vice chancellor Professor Andrew Hamilton said: “We are delighted to name our new sports centre building after Acer Nethercott.

“Acer was the model of a ‘scholar-athlete’ as he not only achieved incredible sporting success but also excelled in his studies at Oxford, gaining a first and a doctorate in the philosophy of language.”

Artist’s impression of the new £60 million sports centre via blink image

The £8 million building, part of £60 million redevelopment project, is not currently under construction, but is due for completion 2016 once the university finishes fundraising.

Dr Nethercott only started coxing at University College after the encouragement of his grandmother.

Double Olympic gold medallist and team mate Andrew Triggs-Hodge said of him “He brought out the best in those around him, who in turn helped him to get the best from himself”