Image may contain: Castle, Building, Architecture

Magdalen introduces race workshops for freshers

Contrary to some reports, the workshops are not compulsory

Students of Magdalen College have this week proposed a motion to introduce race workshops to take place in Freshers’ Week 2018.

The Telegraph reported Magdalen College had introduced “compulsory classes on ‘cultural appropriation’ for students”. However, The Tab Oxford has ascertained from JCR members that while the motion has proposed making these workshops a compulsory responsibility of the BME Rep, this does not mean they would be mandatory for first year students to attend – in fact, the JCR does not have this power.

The motion was originally put forward for the JCR’s Annual General Meeting last Friday 10th November, but low attendance meant that the meeting did not take place and was postponed to Sunday the 19th.

The motion notes: "Many JCRs have made race workshops compulsory for freshers to attend during their Freshers' Week", and proposes to add the following amendment to the JCR’s constitution: “Organise Race Workshops, in co-ordination with the Oxford Students' Union, to be held in Freshers’ Week for the incoming class of first-years.”

Several colleges in Oxford, such as Brasenose, already have 'mandatory' workshops on race, LGBTQIA and sexual consent for freshers.