Stormzy just donated £9000 to send an Oxford student to Harvard for her master’s degree

She met her target in just 20 hours

Oxford finalist Fiona Asiedu set up a crowdfunding account to raise the £12k she needed for her master’s degree in Human Development and Psychology at Harvard.

The South West London student’s target was met in just 20 hours after a tweet from her friend received over 8,000 retweets and attracted the attention of Stormzy. He first shared the crowdfunding appeal with his 695k followers on Twitter, and then donated £9k himself under his full name Michael Ebenazer Kwadjo Omari Owuo Junior, which his PR has confirmed was him.

On her crowdfunder page, Fiona writes that she is “particularly interested in psychological development of individuals from disadvantaged backgrounds, specifically ethnic minorities and those from working class backgrounds,” and this master’s degree will equip her with “the knowledge and skills necessary to generate effective interventions, particularly targeted at young people, to uphold healthy psychological development within this community.”

The total cost of her nine month course is an eye-watering £59,000, but she has fortunately managed to win an external scholarship and receive financial aid from her department to cover the cost that she has not raised herself through crowdfunding.

She and her friends showed their gratitude by offering to take Stormzy to Nando’s for a “thank you chicken”.