Rhodes Must Fall founder said he wanted to ‘whip’ a white student

Because he was being filmed without consent

Protests have been sweeping through South African universities over a rise in tuition fees. Ntokozo Qwabe, a previous student at University of Oxford and founder of the Rhodes Must Fall movement, was accused of “assaulting” a white student that was filming him while interrupting a lecture.

Qwabe was seen standing on top of a desk during a protest in a law class until he spotted the student who was filming him and knocked the phone out of their hand with a stick.

He posted on Facebook that he actually did not ‘assault’ the student, but said he lashed out because the student filmed him without consent.

“Although I wish I’d had actually not been a good law abiding citizen and whipped the white apartheid settler colonial entitlement out of the bastard – who continued to record us without our consent – this is not what happened as the media is reporting.”

Earlier on in the year he made a waitress cry ‘typical white tears’ in a South African cafe as he refused to tip her until she ‘returned the land’. Petitions were launched for him to be kicked out of the uni, but were unsuccessful.  Qwabe was accused of being a hypocrite for receiving a Rhodes scholarship while campaigning for the statue’s removal. He said making black students walk past the statue of Rhodes was a form of violence.