Oxford has been voted the most beautiful university in the UK

Number 1

Oxford is officially the most beautiful university in the UK.  Nine per cent of students voted our campus the most good-looking, beating Durham scoring 8.81 per cent and Nottingham who scored 8.61 per cent.

Other universities’ who also made the top five included Cambridge, coming fourth with a score of 8.2 per cent and Birmingham in fifth place who scored 6.97  per cent.

Oxford has been infamously used for its beauty when Christchurch College inspired the dining hall scenes in the Harry Potter films. Actual scenes from the movie were filmed there, and on the grand stairs. In fact, Oxford was so beautiful that Hitler was intending to use it as his capital, so he left it unbombed.

Christ Church college

Oxford’s win is unsurprising due to the city containing stunning architecture, history and culture. Each of the university’s college is unique in itself. Some were founded in the late 13th century, such as Balliol, Merton and University College and some were built more recently, an example being Green Templeton College, built in 2008. This gives the campus a mixture of an ancient and modern feel. Because of this, Oxford is known as the “City of Dreaming Spires”.

Merton

Green Templeton

Other striking features of the university include the Bodleian and Weston libraries. The Bodleian Libraries of the University of Oxford make up the largest university library system in the UK.

Students attending the University of Oxford are also able to enjoy the Sheldonian Theatre, providing outstanding panoramic views over Oxford. Furthermore, the university also has many museums. The Ashmolean Museum is the oldest museum in the UK and holds endless collections of art.

The Sheldonian Theatre

Finally, the university’s parks and gardens add to the picturesque views of the campus, which includes the Harcourt Arboretum and Christ Church Meadow.

The Harcourt Arboretum