New College picks men-only club as a venue for its Society Dinner

And people are pissed off

Oxford University chose a gentlemen’s club that bans women as a venue for New College’s Society Dinner. 

The dinner was planned to take place in November at the Savile Club in Mayfair, which has banned women joining since 1868.

But after a negative response from furious graduates, the dinner has been cancelled and they are looking for a new venue.

President of New College society Jamie Dundas sent an email to alumni saying: “The decision to change the venue follows comments received from a number of Old Members regarding the Savile Club’s membership rules.

“We had of course established with the Club that our dinner would be open to men and women. But the fact remains that the Club’s rules, other than for events of this sort, restrict ordinary membership to men only.

“The whole purpose of this dinner is to bring together as many Old Members as possible who would like to join in what I hope will be a very convivial evening, attended also by Miles Young, the new Warden of the College.

“I and the NCS Committee do not want to risk causing offence to any Old Member on account of the venue.”