Oxford is cold af and it might snow

Temperatures are already below freezing

Oxford is set to be saltier than usual tonight as gritters begin to salt the roads in preparation for plummeting temperatures.

A team from Oxfordshire County Council will cover a distance of 1,200 miles, treating all main roads.

Temperatures dropped to freezing at around 5pm this afternoon, and are expected to reach -1 degree celsius by 9pm (although some might argue that it will still be warmer than our college accommodation).

Fingers crossed

Council spokesperson Paul Smith said: “Gritter drivers will pay particular attention to wet spots on roads given all the recent rainfall.

“While gritting roads helps make them safer in cold weather, it is not a cure all. Motorists still need to use their common sense, take extra care and drive with due caution.”

With 8 flood alerts issued in recent days by the Environment Agency for the River Thames and tributaries in the Oxford Area, there is likely to be much more water on the roads than usual.

The Agency says that in the case of flooding, low lying land and roads will be affected first but no property flooding is expected.

Areas at risk include Radley and Jericho.

Oxfordshire residents have been advised to steer clear of canal and river walks as water levels rise.