Wadham responds to QueerFest criticism

Queer individuals missed out to cis straight students, but that’s no excuse for abuse

In a world where cis straight people dominate, a safe space for LGBTQIA individuals to express themselves is so important. But what happens when cis heterosexuals (cishets) invade the safe space? You get QueerFest.

QueerFest is the notorious party held at Wadham College to celebrate the closing of QueerWeek: a week during which a range of events from De-Whitewashing Queer Spaces Panel to discussion groups with the Christian Union take place.

Photo cred: Jonathan Cheung

However this year the demand for QueerFest tickets exceeded expectations and cis straight people soaked up the sales. These people are welcome, but at the expense of many LGBTQIA members of the university, who have now missed out on their event.

Wadham didn’t seem to help the situation. Those signed up to the LGBTQIA mailing list (almost all identifying as LGBTQIA) had the opportunity to reserve tickets.

However, before tickets went on sale, LGBTQ Soc President Joel Hide stated that LGBTQ Soc reservations would be invalid due to the demand for tickets from Tuesday.

For this reason Wadham has been widely criticised on social media for taking away reservations from LGBTQIA individuals to allow cishets to buy tickets. This was arguably an unfortunate end to an otherwise successful week of interesting, informative events.

Daniel Templeton, a fourth year at Catz, said: “If you’re not LGBTQ and are wondering whether to go to QueerFest or not, just look at how many other QueerWeek events you attended – that should help. Slapping on a bit of glitter on a Saturday night does not make you an ally.”

Photo Cred: Jonathan Cheung

But, at the event, this angst apparently took a nastier turn. People who “looked straight” were allegedly verbally abused.

A first year from St. Peter’s said: “People kept on questioning why I was here, telling me to fuck off. In the end I did, even though I paid £20 for my ticket.” The individual identifies as LGBTQIA.

This form of homophobia is completely counterintuitive to QueerFest. QueerFest is meant to be a celebration open and welcome to all. Although cishets taking up tickets may be annoying, there is no excuse to treat people like this.

Photo Cred: Jonathan Cheung

Otti Heart, on behalf of the Wadham Entz team, said: “In light of recent posts and messages we would like to issue a statement explaining how ticket sales were conducted this year, and our reasons for doing so.

“We would also like to take the opportunity to remind people what the event actually is, as we are concerned that its purpose has become somewhat distorted. An LGBTQ Society email was sent last Saturday (a week in advance of the event) informing people that they were being given the opportunity to reserve a ticket in advance of general sale.

“These could be collected at three separate LGBTQ priority events and is a policy which is new this year. Its purpose was to give even more precedence and accessibility to the LGBTQ Society as in the past, tickets have only been available at the drinks event which always takes place the evening before the first day of general sale.

“It is also the first year that we have offered a number (150) of discounted LGBTQ Society tickets, again emphasizing our desire to make Queerfest more accessible to the LGBTQ community in Oxford. As such, Wadham students and LGBTQ Soc members have had multiple opportunities to purchase tickets before general release.

Photo Cred: Jonathan Cheung

“Furthermore, it was our intention for information about the LGBTQ-only sales events to be made available exclusively to the LGBTQ Society so that those members who wanted to had a private chance to collect them before general release.

“With regards to the hectic sales at the LGBTQ drinks on Tuesday; numbers of these proportions and the chaos they brought had never occurred previously and the two Entz selling tickets did their best given the situation. It should also be noted that the rumours of Christ Church JCR advertising the event as an opportunity for non-LGBTQ Soc members to get tickets before general sale is completely untrue and unfounded.

“However, we apologise unreservedly to those who attended and were affected by the situation at LGBTQ drinks. Next year we will be better prepared for this kind of demand and will research alternative methods to sell tickets.

“Finally we would like to remind people that Queerfest initially started as ‘Queer Bop’ and whilst obviously the event has grown beyond this, it does in essence remain a Wadham event. It is organised, hosted and funded by the Wadham SU and is therefore primarily for Wadham students who wish to celebrate Queer culture. Whilst of course members of the LGBTQ community are wholly welcomed and encouraged to attend, it has never been an exclusively Queer event.

Photo Cred: Jonathan Cheung

“Accordingly, this is reflected in the sale of tickets; where Wadham students are given initial priority, followed by LGBTQ Society and finally general release, where the majority of tickets were been bought for friends by people who had already purchased a ticket either through Wadham or LGBTQ Soc.

“If anyone has any other comments or suggestions please feel free to email [email protected] or send us a message on Facebook. We will endeavour to reply as soon as possible. We hope everyone who is able to attend had a fantastic night.”