Over 400 protesters chant for Rhodes’ downfall at Oriel

Hundreds join anti-colonial rally

Over 400 protesters joined in chanting for Oriel to demand the removal of Cecil Rhodes.

The rally quickly grew as the protest began for an afternoon of speeches and chanting in outrage against the colonialist institution came from not only Oxford students but also visiting South Africans.

Referring to the Rhodes quote, “One should kill as many n*ggers as possible”, one speaker said: “The presence of a racist colonialist is fundamentally disrespectful to people of colour. This is not a historical issue, racism has never left Oxford.”

Another added: “The ability to consider Rhodes as history and not violence is aprivilege that I don’t have.”

After an hour of shouting and chanting, the representatives of Oriel came out to a rather chilly response. One speaker called for all to sit down whilst engaging with the deans- a South African custom to allow mutual respect.

The deans were reluctant, the crowd even more: it was raining.

Over 400 gathered to protest the statue

One University of Cape Town representative engaged with the dean, refusing to look at them in the eyes. “If they don’t see me as human, I will not see them as humans either.” The deans sat their awkwardly, surrounded by a hoard of passionate students. they didn’t comment on the situation.

The statue of Rhodes is still standing in Oriel, but the rally proved promising support from across the university.