Huge crush at the Guild champagne social

Popping bottles in the club

The Guild’s first social of the term featured a mob baying for complimentary bubbly.

The legendary champagne social kicked off at 7.15pm last Wednesday, but the world’s future CEOs and G8 politicians were frustrated by poor access to the evening’s luxuries.

Only one bar of the several available was offering out the free champagne at the start of the night.

“This is so badly organised,” a frustrated undergrad yelled after a long twenty minutes behind the mob of people trying to get their Don on.

Hoarding what they can in these bleak times

Boasting unlimited champagne, ice cream and chocolate at Oxford’s biggest club Atik (Park End) the event promised to be a blinder – thanks to generous sponsorship from the likes of JP Morgan and Deloitte.

They were even able to offer discounted entry and queue jump into Fubar Wednesdays.

But poor organisation resulted in a sweaty crush of thirsty Guild socialites, all attempting to shove their way to the front of the bar to get their hands on the bubbly.

Sorry, can I get through please?

The general pushing and shoving continued up to around 8.00pm, when a second bar began to offer individually poured glasses.

Though the general throng eased a little, the combination of impatient social-goers and free indulgences meant that the vibe was a ruthless “every man for himself”.

Oliver Wright, a PPE second year at Lincoln, explained how he’d “developed fictional friends solely for the purpose of taking 5 champagne glasses from the bar at once.”

The Guild’s generous offering of free unlimited ice cream and chocolate also proved problematic.

Sanjana Canumalla, a second year Lawyer at St Catz, said: “The ice cream? I’ve heard it’s really good. Haven’t managed to get hold of any myself though.”

A message to the shoving masses

Once some of the event’s guests had calmed down, thanks to a freebie-wide overindulgence on their behalf, proceedings became far more amicable.

One attendee in the toilets phonetically describing the evening as a “S1K NITE.”

When asked for a lowdown on the thirsty throng, one of the bartenders said: “They like champagne too much. This has been a nightmare.”

The Guild have since responded, stating that it was contractually stipulated with the venue that two bars should serve champagne, but that didn’t initially happen.