Oxford Cecil project was funded by pro-hunting groups

WildCRU rake in £500,000 after Cecil slaughter

The Oxford research group studying Cecil the lion before his illegal murder received funding from pro-hunting companies. 

Professor David Macdonald, who founded the unit, said there was no conflict of interest between its work and the decision to take cash from Panthera and the Dallas Safari club, which support sustainable trophy hunting.

Dallas Safari club gave WildCRU $20,000. A spokesperson for the group said it backed sustainable trophy hunting but did not comment further. Dr Luke Hunter, executive vice-president of Panthera was unapologetic: “In Africa, sport hunting is the main revenue earner for huge tracts of wilderness outside national parks.”

Chris Macsween, a trustee of the conservation charity LionAid attacked the idea of sustainable trophy hunting: “There is no such thing as ‘sustainable trophy hunting’ of vulnerable and endangered species. For far too long the general public has been influenced by the rhetoric emanating from pro-hunting organisations.

“It is unfortunate that a diversity of organisations have promoted such rhetoric and have allowed hunters to sponsor their research.”

Professor Macdonald said: “We simply do our work. There is no risk of any donor affecting our results. We report our results regardless of whether they state any particular point of view or not. We are not an advocacy organisation.”

MacDonald: strong beard game. Photo: http://www.lmh.ox.ac.uk/

He added it was up to society to decide on hunting laws but WildCRU was simply an “evidence-based organisation.”

International outrage sparked by Cecil’s death has seen Macdonald’s WildCRU rake in an enormous £550,000 in donations in little over a week. This is enough money to fund the group for 18 months. Further money has been pledged by Ty Warner, founder of the cuddly toy company Beanie Babies. Profits from the sales of a Cecil Beanie Baby will go to WildCRU.

Bloodied arrow not included

Macdonald hopes that the sale of a Cecil the lion toy will educate young people about his unit’s work. He said: “The worldwide engagement with Cecil’s story transcends the tragic fate of one lion and sends a signal that people care about conservation.”

Goldplating company Goldgenie is also getting in on the Cecil bonanza. They’re flogging commemorative gold phone dedicated to Cecil’s memory. Yours for a mere £1580.