Silver lion-ing: Oxford research group up £300k after Cecil shooting

The mighty beast didn’t die for nothing

The Oxford research group who monitored Cecil the lion have made £300,000 since he was shot and killed by an American dentist.

Speaking to ITV News, Professor David Macdonald, Director of WildCRU, said that he hoped there would be a “silver-lining” to Cecil’s death through increased support for his research.

Oxford had been tracking the lion using a GPS collar since 2008. They were monitoring him in order to gauge the effect of hunting on lions in Hwange National Park, Zimbabwe.

WildCRU released their statement this afternoon. So far, £300,000 has been raised, which they say is enough to fund their research into lion conservation for two years.

Photo: ITV news

US philanthropists Dr Tom Kaplan and Daphne Recanati Kaplan have pledged to match new donations to Oxford University’s Wildlife Conservation Unit (WildCRU) up to the value of $100,000.

Macdonald said “We are grateful beyond measure for their generosity, and that of every single one of our donors, big or small.”

With this pledge, WildCRU hopes to increase their donations to a total of £500,000.

Macdonald said “This is stupendous. My colleague Andy Loveridge and I are overwhelmed and inspired.”

Tom Kaplan said “We have to seize this moment where we can all make a difference. Jimmy Kimmel nailed it: If the tragic, illegal, death of Cecil can lead to the saving of many more lions, then some good can come from tragedy.”

So everyone, don’t be too sad about Cecil: because Oxford’s going to get even richer.