Rapping Brookes grad ShaoDow in controversial cuffing

He’s furious with Thames Valley Police

A law graduate turned rapper who has headlined the O2 Academy Oxford and played at Truck Festival has launched an official complaint against the police after being handcuffed in Oxford.

ShaoDow, whose real name is Elliott Haslam, was in the city centre earlier this month promoting his headline gig at Wahoo in August when police officers asked to search him in Cornmarket Street, the 29-year-old said.

The Oxford Brookes graduate, who now lives in London, said he was approached by two officers when queuing in EE and asked to step outside.

He said: “When I asked why, they wouldn’t tell me.”
“I feel annoyed that they thought they could get away with treating me like a criminal before they’d even established guilt.”

“I guess what annoys me most is that I was put in handcuffs and made to stand around for no discernible reason for so long.”

The ShaoDow live experience

It transpired that a woman had informed police that she thought the rapper was selling illegal DVDs. ShaoDow said he would have been able to sort the issue out by showing the officers his CDs if they had told him why they were searching him.

“I had no clear idea of what it was about and if it was something I could have helped with then and there then I would have been happy to. One of them then said that if I didn’t allow them to handcuff me they would use pepper spray.”

The rapper said several fans recognised him as he was in handcuffs and he has made a formal complaint to Thames Valley Police.

“It was an incredibly frustrating experience which is why I’m taking it so seriously now and making sure I make people aware of how these officers acted in the hopes that it won’t happen to anyone else.”

“I’ve had the police approach me before and they’ve behaved respectfully and almost apologetic to be disturbing me.”

“I don’t believe the officers acted lawfully in this situation and plan to press charges.”

ShaoDow said he was in Oxford to promote his gig, his hits include tracks like Get Stronger, Biggest Threat and I Does This.

He added he had been approached by fans who wanted CDs and that he had had a valid licence for the past six years.

Thames Valley Police spokeswoman Connie Primmer said: “We received Mr Haslam’s complaint on Friday and it is being investigated.”

“It would be inappropriate to comment any further while the matter is being investigated.”