Hero chooses dying invalid over unavailable babe in musical ‘Passion’

It’s pretty intense

Last week the Keble O’Reilly witnessed one of the most unexpected theatrical twists in the masterful performance of Sondheim’s musical “Passion”. The play’s handsome hero Georgio chose the whining and slithering invalid Fosca over the alluring married babe Clara.

No one expected it… least of all me. But thanks to the delicate portrayal of the layers of passion mixed with pity, I left the theatre surprised at the extent to which I understood why the hero chose this entirely loathsome creature. The tentative acting, especially of Fosca and Georgio should be held to thank for making this incredibly illogical choice relatable to all those perplexed viewers.

Lets set the scene. The audience, on entrance, were treated to the sight of a (very good looking) man and a (equally as beautiful) woman half naked in bed. This looked promising. My spirits lifted. But then, the music started and the words “love” and “happy” were uttered one too many times for the delicate sensitivity of my reluctant musical goer friend to my right. She swiftly gave me the stink-eye and I saw doom. I had done the unthinkable. I had put her cynicism in a compromising position for the next 2 hours.

To be honest, I love romance so the prospect of a Disney fairytale enacted live on stage for me to review was heaven. Or, would have been had it not been for the infecting toxic vibes emanating from the disgruntled being to my right.

But thank God – Georgio chose the wretched Fosca and all was content to my right. But that wasn’t the only reason why I was satisfied. In fact, Georgio’s exploratory acting had let me gain an insight into the journey the lead’s heart took from pity and compassion to love. This intense emotional transformation was greatly complimented by the comedy (at times accidental) and soaring voices of Barnaby Wynter, Rory Green and Chesney D’Ovsiowitz.

All in all, “Passion” was a hit. My romantic blinkers had been lifted by the hugely talented cast and I had been able to appreciate an alternative, slightly less appealing, fairytale.