Union BME Officer resigns over colonialist cocktail controversy

She’s “disgusted” and hasn’t even met the President

The Union’s Black and Minority Ethnic Officer, Esther Odejimi, is resigning after last night’s “Colonialist Comeback” cocktail scandal.

Speaking to Cherwell, Odejimi said she was “disgusted”. This comes amidst a controversial period for the Union. Last night’s reparations debate was protested by some who said: “Colonialism, and the celebration of colonialism and neo-colonialism are all alive and well in Oxford. This University in many ways is built in blood, the blood of our ancestors.”

Photo: Isaac Kang

There has been much anger about the cocktail – which was advertised with a picture of black hands in chains. One Facebook commenter said: “I really, really hope this is fake because I’d rather look like a gullible fool than coexist with scumsucking douchedicks who think this is in ANY WAY OKAY.”

Odejimi said: “I’m disgusted at the way they have behaved both, towards me, and the wider black community.

“I have made many efforts to reach out to the President for an induction and to make sure that my role is not left redundant. All have been in vain. I haven’t even met her ONCE!

“And now, on top of that, this ridiculously insensitive poster has been pasted up on the union walls. It’s clear that my role was just an act of political correctness and they had no intention to actually engage with the BME rep position.

“I want nothing to do with them at all. I’m disgusted. Racism is definitely not dead.”

Union Treasurer Zuleyka Shahin, who is expected to run for President in this term’s elections, said: “I consider both the name of the cocktail and the images used on the fliers to be deeply offensive and in the worst possible taste.

“Had I known about them before the fliers were made, I would have done everything possible to prevent their circulation.

“What happened has no place in our Union or in Oxford at all, and the fact that it even occurred only shows how much more progress remains to be made.

“I will be working with the rest of the Union Committee to look in to who was responsible, hold them to account, and make sure that this cannot happen again.

“Once again, I am deeply sorry to anyone who has been hurt and offended, and I promise that I will work as hard as I can to earn back your trust.”

President Olivia Merrett has yet to comment on the scandal. The same goes for Librarian Stuart Webber, who is also expected to run for President.