Ambitious students receive £1,000 scholarship to help them achieve their goals

Get inspired by their stories

Two UK undergrads have become the first recipients of a £1,000 scholarship awarded to promising students by specialist student lender Future Finance.

Future Finance’s “Student of the Month” initiative is designed to provide additional financial assistance to students with big ambitions.

Paula Wilson, in her second year studying for a BA in Animal Science at Hull, has used her passion for working with animals to set up a popular dog-walking business in London, Walkies & Waggietails.

CLICK HERE TO LEARN MORE ABOUT THE STUDENT OF THE MONTH INITIATIVE

Paula is a second year at Hull

Through this Paula offers a range of services to dog owners, from puppy schools and dog training classes to dog walking and day care in West London.

The other inaugural winner, Lucinda Burgess-Farwell, runs the fashion blog “Lucinda’s Closet” and has worked as a freelance social media manager and street style editor for a popular fashion bloggers network, alongside studying for her Journalism degree at Southampton Solent.

Lucinda writes her own fashion blog

Lucinda told us: “I felt like I had Future Finance customer service support throughout the whole process and it was a really personal experience, not like some scary or intimidating loan companies who can make you feel silly or like you’re being ripped off.”

Brian Norton, Chief Executive of Future Finance said: “In addition to helping students bridge the funding gap through our loans, we wanted to recognise the significant efforts and achievements of students by providing additional financial assistance in the form of scholarships.

“I have no doubt that both Lucinda and Paula will go far in pursuing their dreams and we’re delighted to name them as the first winners of our Student of the Month competition.”

Future Finance provide long-term loans specifically for students whose government loans are not enough to cover their tuition costs and living expenses, or who are not eligible for these loans.

Depending on personal circumstances, Future Finance provides loans to both undergraduates and postgraduates of between £2,500 and £40,000 each academic year to help them pay for tuition costs and living expenses.

Typically loan periods are ten years after graduation although borrowers can settle early at any time, with no extra cost, and reduce the amount of interest they pay overall. Other student-friendly features include up to four three-month payment holidays which can be taken during the life of the loan.

Future Finance Loan Corporation Limited is authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority; Interim Permissions Reference Number 661722