Exclusive: Piers Morgan and Warwick Davis set to speak at Oxford Union

We’ve got the list

Bill Maher Dynamo Ella Woodward Hilary Swank Ivan Massow Jacqueline Gold oxford union Peter Thiel Piers Morgan Warwick Davis

The Tab has got its hands on the list of speakers for this term’s Union lineup – and it’s a disappointing one.

Highlights include loathed TV host Piers Morgan, Life’s Too Short star Warwick Davis and actress Hilary Swank- but that’s about it.

Headline speakers include the magician Dynamo and F1 driver Mark Webber, a far cry from the Morgan Freemans and Ian McKellens of previous terms. It turns out that even controversial hate preacher Anjem Choudary won’t be attending after the event he was due to speak in got cancelled.

The Union will also be playing host to lingerie mogul Jacqueline Gold and editor of British Vogue Alexandra Shulman.

And Cherwell have revealed that cricket legend Brian Lara will be making an appearance too.

She’s CEO of Ann Summers you know

There’ll be some political focussed events, with American commentator Bill Maher and controversial/infamous journalist Piers Morgan making stops in Oxford over the next two months.

We’ll also be getting some royalty: Princess Michael of Kent will be making an appearance in June.

That’s in addition to debates on the tobacco industry, the EU and sex workers.

Other speakers range from House of Cards author Lord Michael Dobbs to blogger Ella Woodward, with millionaire London mayoral candidate Ivan Massow, playwright Simon Armitage and Silicon Valley entrepreneur Peter Thiel all on the lineup too.

You can see the full list, including provisional dates and times, below.

Students are unimpressed with the names. One Union member said: “All my friends and I are very disappointed in yet another underwhelming Union line up. Each term just gets worse and worse, and it really isn’t worth paying over £200 for Z-list speakers and celebrities.

The Guild got Kanye West last term, and they don’t charge anyone membership. The PPE society got John McCain a few years ago. The Union hacks don’t care about quality speakers anymore and just focus on student politics rather than doing a good job for the paying members who ‘elected’ them.”

Kanye rocked the Guild last term

THE FULL LINEUP (dates + times provisional)

TBC: Lord Michael Dobbs, author of House of Cards

Monday 27th April, 8pm: Nicola Benedetti, violinist

Thursday 30th April, 6pm: Peter Thiel, founder of PayPal

Thursday 30th April, 8.30pm: Election Debate

Wednesday 6th May, 8pm: Mark Webber, F1 driver

Thursday 7th May, 8.30pm: “This House Embraces Sex Work as a Career Choice” Debate

Monday 11th May, 8.30pm: Steven Frayne/Dynamo, magician

Tuesday 12th May, 8pm: Piers Morgan, journalist

Wednesday 13th May, 8pm: Hilary Swank, actress

Thursday 14th May, 8.30pm: Tobacco Industry Debate

Monday 18th May, 8pm: Simon Armitage, playwright

Tuesday 19th May, 8pm: Ivan Massow, entrepreneur and politician

Wednesday 20th May, 5pm: Jacqueline Gold, CEO of Ann Summers

Thursday 21st May, 8.30pm: Religion Debate

Monday 25th May, 2.30pm: Bill Maher, political commentator

Wednesday 27th May, 8pm: Alexandra Shulman, editor of British Vogue

June, date TBC: Warwick Davis, actor

Tuesday 2nd June, 8pm: Princess Michael of Kent

Thursday 4th June, 8.30pm: EU Debate

Tuesday 9th June, 8pm: Ella Woodward, blogger

Wednesday 10th June, 8pm: Eric Whitacre, composer

Updated at 14.15pm with removal of some speakers and date changes at the Union’s request. The quote also incorrectly stated that membership fee is £250, when in fact it is £218 during fresher’s week and £242 outside of that.