New Union pres Roberto forced to RESIGN

He didn’t show up to some meetings

Roberto Weeden-Sanz Union

Incoming Union president Roberto Weeden-Sanz has automatically resigned his position after failing to turn up to three compulsory meetings, according to Cherwell.

Weeden-Sanz was due to be president next term, but these developments have thrown that into jeopardy. It’s understood by Versa that he’ll be fighting to keep the position next week.

Under Union rules, failing to attend three compulsory meetings “without good reason” leads to an automatic resignation. Versa report that he’s missed four meetings without such reasons.

A similar thing occurred with last term’s Librarian, Mehrunissa Sajjad, in Trinity of last year when she was Librarian-Elect. But Mayank Banerjee, who was President-Elect at the time, intervened to allow her to keep her position.

The Tab’s Union insiders have explained that the situation is uniquely difficult. Roberto’s absences from the standing committee have been deemed extraordinary, because he had a society business meeting at the same time and on another occasion was at his grandmother’s funeral.

But his absences from the consultative committee and finance committee weren’t even noted in an “administrative cock-up” that meant absences weren’t discussed at the start of the meeting.

It’s said that the error should have been spotted earlier in the term, and the RO’s competency will be investigated next week as part of the tribunal.

It’s understood that at a Special Disciplinary Committee next week Weeden-Sanz will have to present a dossier explaining his case. The committee are said to be sympathetic to him, as he has already rusticated for the position and thus had to postpone his finals.

If the decision is upheld, it’s likely current Librarian-Elect Stuart Webber will be offered the job first.

Weeden-Sanz, a St Benet’s student, worked his way up the Union’s ranks as an outsider: not from one of the traditional Union colleges, he’s the first President in Benet’s history. With it all crashing down around him, he’s expected to fight hard to retain the position next week.