Kanye West gave a lecture at Oxford University yesterday

Who talks at your business society?

| UPDATED Guild Kanye West national noad Show Images Union Yeezy

Rap and fashion legend Kanye West gave a talk to the Oxford Guild Business Society yesterday. 

Yeezy preached to a packed lecture theatre of 350 students and said things like “The Matrix is like the Bible of the post-information age” and “Obama calls the home phone.”

His usual brand of arrogance reached epic new levels: at one point he said if he’d gone into fine art, his goal would have been “to become Picasso or greater”.

kanye2

GOD

Yeezy gave the speech in his usual “stream of consciousness” style, taking a single question from the audience and then talking about all topics from philosophy to politics, touching on fashion, consumerism and the fleeting nature of happiness on the way.

Miraculously, he didn’t answer the question at all.

Talking about himself, humble Kanye said: “There’s no living celebrity with more weapons formed against them, but I also don’t think there’s one more prosperous”.

He bragged about the price of his clothes, adding: “I’m assuming I’m probably wearing a $2000 shirt, but I got it for free from the designer so…”

Yeezy talked about how good he is at music is, too: “Chris Rock…well, Chris Rock and everyone else at every single media publication called My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy the best album of the last 25 years…it was one of the best…the best album – I’m just saying what the critics said – of the last 25 years.”

https://twitter.com/AledR/status/572435838270869504

And he loved name dropping, saying that he could call up billionaire Elon Musk or Obama on a whim.

He said: “Obama calls the home phone, by the way”.

But there was some modesty. Kanye claims he’s starting to ditch the ego, and “If I, Kanye West, the very person, can remove my ego, I think there’s hope for everyone”.

Joking around at times and obviously lapping up the attention, he also got into some deep political discussion, attacking our ideas of class and materialism.

He said: “There should never be a $5000 sweater.

“You know what should cost $5000? A car should be $5000.

“And you know who should work on the car? The people that work on the $500,000 cars.

“All the best talent in the world needs to work for the people.”

The day the Guild destroyed the Union

The day the Guild destroyed the Union

5000 balloted for a place at Kanye’s fly in visit and those who were lucky enough to bag a place were forbidden from snapping the star and were forced to turn off their phones on entry.

If students took photos they were told they’d be kicked out –– or worse, that Kanye himself would walk out.

At the end, he abruptly said “That’s all” and walked out, with shouts of “NO” from the audience who wanted more of Yeezus’ thought stream.

We’ve got a full transcript of what Kanye said here.