Preview: Keble Arts Festival

Get cultured, you filthy animal

babylove bop cinema Comedy Keble Arts Festival Music

Fifth Week is fast approaching, and what better way to avoid the blues than to indulge in a week of cinema, comedy and art. Keble Arts Festival returns this week with a programme chock-full of political-focussed art. Here’s your roundup of the festival’s highlights: get them in your calendar, because it’s set to be a busy week.

Saturday

Launch Party x From the Horse’s Mouth

7pm – Keble Bar

Free wine, free cheese and spoken word from Cellar favourites FTHM. But let’s be honest, you were sold at the free wine. What’s not to love?

Sunday

Ruby Adam’s Vintage Dance Workshop

2-3pm – Jean Robinson Room, Keble

Let burlesque and cabaret dancer Ruby Adams take you to the ‘40s with a dance workshop – your dancing needs some work anyway, so may as well get it dealt with by a professional for free.

Monday

My Tehran for Sale Screening

8.30pm – Keble O’Reilly

In partnership with Another Gaze, come to a free screening of this award winning Australian-Iranian movie about an actress in Tehran’s underground art scene. It’s got subtitles, so you know it’s important.

Tuesday

Fig Jam
8pm – Keble Bar

Live music from Jersualem’s Callum Akass, Tommy Siman and more to accompany the launch of Keble’s arts magazine. There’ll be an open mic too so you can get all political on the crowd.

Wednesday

Citizenfour Screening

8.30pm – Keble O’Reilly

This documentary about Edward Snowden is going to win an Oscar next week. You’d be mad not to watch it for free on the big screen.

Thursday

KAF Comedy Night

8pm – Keble O’Reilly

Comedy from the excellent Imps, The Oxford Revue and the hilarious Alex Fox. Again, this is free. Get some laughter in your week.

Friday

Panel Discussion: The Art of Politics

5.30pm – Keble O’Reilly

This is the serious one. V&A curator Gavin Grindon, Iranian filmmaker and TED Fellow Taghi Amirani, director of Culture+Conflict Michaela Crimmin and Head of Programme at Modern Art Oxford Sally Shaw are all going to sit down and have a chat about the relationship between politics and art. If you’re interested in that (and you should be, you go to Oxford for god’s sake), come.

ArtBop

10pm – Babylove

Bop. Babylove. Theme? Art. Start working on your costumes…

For full details on all the events check out the KAF website, their Facebook and their Twitter.