A single’s soundtrack to Valentine’s Day

A disgustingly miserable playlist to make you feel even worse

It’s okay. Everything is going to be okay. Ryan Gosling and James Blunt are here to sing away the pain, the pine, the loneliness. Get the tissues ready (chaps, please) and prepare to savour the bitter taste of your own salty tears of utter desolation.

The Tab Oxford has curated an utter onslaught of hard-hitting soul destroyers, guaranteed to rub salt in the wound of your brooding misery. Prepare to have your ripped out. Metaphorically.

Ryan Gosling – ‘You Always Hurt the One You Love’ in ‘Blue Valentine’

This kills me. This whole film kills me. Part of me died that day. And it’s never coming back. Cinematic context aside, this is largely what dreams are made of – but it’s never coming true.

James Blunt – Goodbye My Lover

An absolute classic. Blunt’s forlorn cries will echo in your mind and haunt your dreams – “I’M SO HOLLOW BABY, I’M SO HOLLOW. I’M SO, I’M SO, I’M SO HOLLOW.”

The Streets – Dry Your Eyes

Mike Skinner – poetical genius, the Wordsworth of our times, voice of a generation. True balladry in verse form.

Mazzy Star – Into Dust

Remember the O.C? Remember Ryan and Marissa? My heart shatters at the sheer thought of it. I need a moment.

Frank Ocean – Acura Integurl

Frank, before he was Frank, turning a song dedicated to his car into a serene lamentation. Obviously it’s a metaphor for a girl but like, that’s besides the point. I hear kittens weeping.

Drake – Marvin’s Room 

Everyone’s favourite “feelings” rapper, Drizzy comes through with that Young Money Cash Money Bitch ballad. I like to see myself in Drake’s position, sitting in my room at college, having just returned from Bridge –  although the ‘cups of the XO’ were probably DVRB’s, and if I rung a girl, she definitely wouldn’t pick up. Do I even have any girl’s numbers? Alas.

Aphex Twin – Avirl 14th

Imagine a sea of angels weeping, and the sound of their tears falling into a glistening pool of moonlit despair. This piece of music sounds nothing like that image I’ve just conjured, but what it does feel like is a shoulder to cry on in sonic form, a warm, melodious embrace from your mum. Hold me.

Radiohead – True Love Waits

A musical actualisation of our “desperate desire to connect, fully and meaningfully, with just one person” in our lives. Great.