Underage fresher gets smashed and ‘recites Latin’ at Labour Party drinks

It’s all gone a bit Bullingdon

| UPDATED alcohol Labour OULC politics

A 17-year-old Corpus fresher ended up hammered at Oxford Labour Club’s first event of the term after drinking free cocktails from a menu that included “Tonic Benn” and “Peachy Mandelson”.

The shindig was held last week to celebrate the start of the party’s election campaign and was attended by Oxford East MP Andrew Smith.

More like Oxford University Lads Club

A report in the OxStu says that the wannabe Buller boy got so drunk he chundered repeatedly and couldn’t walk.

Then the laddish leftie started running around the college shouting “Vote Labour” and reciting in Latin.

Speaking to the OxStu, one furious OULC member said: “It seems that the club has taken Champagne Socialism and Bolly Bolshevism too far this time. You would not find this at Port and Policy.

“I think some members may have interpreted the principles of the Beveridge Report a little too seriously.”

It’s reported that the classic fresher has been disciplined by college authorities. The same goes for the OULC leadership, whose actions may have been illegal.

Oxford East MP Andrew Smith was at the event

It’s unlikely that future Labour youth will be able to get away with this sort of drunken deviance: photos of all under-18 Corpus students have now been put behind the college’s bar.

Hannah Lovell, co-chair of the society, said to the BBC that she was “really sorry” for what happened. She said: “There are very few under 18-year-olds who are students at the university and so we and other student societies don’t routinely check.

“However [we] will be checking for ID next time. Hopefully other student societies will follow suit.”

And OULC got a stern telling off from the MP for Oxford East, he said: “They will need to be careful in future about how they advertise events and check the ages of those who are coming.” He claims he was unaware underage students were drinking at the event.

OULC are hosting another event with MP and Better Together campaigner Alistair Darling tonight. It’s unclear whether they’ll be trying to replicate their attempts to go full Buller.

A member of the club who attended the event played down the seriousness of the situation saying it had been “hyped up a lot” and was seemingly “an attempt to smear the OULC, but really it’s a complete non-event”.

He added: “I don’t know if he really chanted Latin. He is 17 but OULC didn’t know that.

“Ultimately the media heard OULC made an error that’s being made by student societies across the country by not IDing students, but because it happened at a political society the media thought it’d make a dramatic sounding story where they could brand OULC as some Bullingdon-like drinking club.

“Really it was a civilised evening where a bunch of people chatted about politics and had a few drinks. Had the same thing happened at Corpus Christi Cheese Appreciation Society you can guarantee it would not have hit the headlines.”