Tabometer: Week six

What’s hot and what’s… really shit.

The Tab’s regular monitor of Oxford’s hottest trend movements through our very scientific, accurate scale. 

GOING UP

Artsy magazines

This week sees the publication of new issues of Industry, ISIS and Escapade so it’s time to start thinking not just about what’s going on but what all these things MEAN.

But don’t forget about us in the meantime.

International Bad Weather

…means great snow for the Varsity trip. All those blizzards give you even more of an excuse when you faceplant after pretending you’ve skiied loads of times before following one too many apres-skis.

Christmas

We know it’s still November but there’s only 18 days left until Oxford’s ridiculously short term ends and we can all get merry and festive.

In other words, that’s 432 hours, 3 more Bridge Thursdays and only 2 more Tabometers! We know you’ll miss us really.

Oxford’s QUEERFEST

This year’s Queerfest is hosting DJs from some of Oxford’s top nights, including Supermarket, featuring performances from our very own Out Of The Blue, free stomach-lining from Noodle Nation and an afterparty to top off an incredible week of the very best arts, talks, performances, debates and discussions.

Is it Christmas already?

GOING DOWN

Public School Boys Trying to DJ

Yeah, yeah we all get it. You can get a crowd together because you went to school with half of Oxford’s most privileged toffs and you’re all family friends and go skiing together. Let’s be honest though. Pressing the ‘sync’ button on the spanking new decks you just bought isn’t a skill…it’s just the most expensive attempt to pull.

Clear the way for the more talented of the DJing contingent out there who can fill clubs through great mixing not a guestlist of bucket hat clad morons. Rumour has it the next culprit is putting on a night at Camera with an ‘exclusive’ invite policy. Ooh hope I don’t get an invite!

Tim Stanley & Brendan O’Neill 

The two most hated journalists in Oxford right now? Probably. I mean, hosting an all-male, one-sided, pro-life ‘debate’ about abortion “culture”…whatever that means…they probably saw it coming right? Wrong.

VERSA News

Who are you and why have you written a piece about Oxford’s phallic pavements? Eligible bachelors? Pretty sure that’s a Tab invention too. When we google you, it comes up with Nissan ads.

OUSU’s New Voting System

Complaints have been made widely about the incredible time delay it takes for one vote given a large number of pupils appear to ‘not be on the system’. In case people weren’t already not bothered to vote, here’s a turn-off thrown in for those who bothered.