The Tabometer: Week four

What’s hot? Not much… it’s pretty cold in November.

The Tab tracks the up and down movements of Oxford’s trends with our highly scientific measuring scale.

GOING UP

Somerville

So everyone might take the piss about how no one quite knows where Somerville is. Well, on Wednesday Somerville decided that enough was enough. They put on a whole fireworks display so that you simply can’t miss them any more.

“Just because we’re not in Harry Potter, people should still give us the respect to know where we are” one student commented about this extravagant GPS method.

Coincidentally, it coincided with Guy Fawkes night making Somerville one of the few colleges to provide celebrations for this great occasion! Respect.

Ian McKellen 

Nb. to all future speakers at the Union who think they can beat McKellan’s presence on Tuesday, you shall not pass.

OUDS

With the stellar performance of “The Pillowman” last week and “Jerusalem”, ‘His Dark Materials’ and Cuppers Performances all coming up in the next fortnight, OUDS is absolutely owning the creative scene of Oxford at the moment. Book your tickets now – Oxford’s theatres are the place to be.

Blackwell’s

3 for 2 on almost everything – an Oxford student dream come true! Not a bad cheapskate Christmas present go-to either.

GOING DOWN 

Other University’s Reading Weeks

“I think we’re all going to try get together over reading week, you should come haven’t seen you for ages!”

“I don’t have reading week…”

“Why not?”

“Every week is reading week.”

“Oh.”

Lecture Attendance

As that lecture list you highlighted, colour co-ordinated and underlined at the start of term has mysteriously disappeared, so have the number of attendees at your lectures. Sheer tiredness, or the realisation you spent most of them on Facebook? We don’t know…but we sure know that this “New Term Resolution” is certainly falling.

Bouncers

With a series of complaints about Oxford’s doorstaff, those chanting ‘Bod Cards and IDs’ at hordes of queueing students are heavily out of favour.