How To: Eveningwear to Daywear

Elevate your daywear game with some evening pieces

Girls go through a real struggle that guys will never understand. Especially in places like Oxford where the following dilemma happens on a daily basis*: What do I wear to the third black tie event of the week?! Where there will be people who’ve seen me at the other two?!

*given you’re of the sort who will not be caught dead in the same dress twice

When you run out of the dresses you’ve brought from home, you borrow friends’. When your friends run out of dresses to lend to you, you buy some more. Until your student loan runs out.

But you reach the moment, a moment every girl reaches at some point, when you find your closet stuffed with pieces of formal wear that’s been worn once, at most twice.

Even though our life motto is basically Carrie Bradshaw’s famous quote,

I like my money where I can see it – hanging in my closet

it’s a shame to not let those gorgeous gowns see daylight as well.

The sequin bodycon

BEFORE

For the simplest of dresses, the bodycon, the solution is easy. Banal even.Throw something casual on top to turn it into a skirt and you’re good to go.

AFTER

The sheer LBD

BEFORE

Sometimes, however, you want to showcase the upper part of the dress. If it’s short and form-fitting enough, just wear a skirt over the whole thing and no one will know you’re wearing a dress. Benefits include: your top actually staying put.

The same can be done with slip dresses or even bodycons with sleeves.

AFTER

The OTT cocktail dress

BEFORE

With the right combination, even a flamboyant cocktail dress can be made appropriate for day. Pair with anything from chunky knits to oversized denim jackets and thick wool scarves. Some well-worn boots or Hunters will also tone it down a few notches.

AFTER

Don’t forget in all the excitement to keep make-up minimal so as to avoid looking like you’re actually doing a walk of shame.

Photos by Karolina Kalinowska and Lizzy Thompson