Rickin’ it- meet the five students about to trek India in a rickshaw

From rickshaw fivesomes to sun burn bums- meet the five Oxford students who plan to drive across India for charity in three-wheeled death-trap lawnmowers

This is ‘Rickin’ It’, a “doubtlessly idiotic certainly stupid” venture which sees five Oxford students travelling the entire Indian West coast (over 1,500 miles) –  in rickshaws.

With a combined total of 20 City job rejections between them, they’re putting real life on hold to raise money for several charities by taking on the Indian subcontinent, doing the whole thing in what are essentially, three-wheeled glorified lawnmowers.

The rickshaw, also known as ‘The Rolling Mechanical Turd’ and ‘3 Wheels of Disaster’ has a mighty 7 brake horsepower and will be the students’ mighty mode of transport for nearly 3 weeks. In the mean time, ‘Rickin’ It’ are hosting several fundraising events in Oxford, including a ‘Zumbathon’ (Zumba + Marathon) this Wednesday at Iffley. The Tab caught up with three of the team to ask them a few questions about their upcoming adventure…

What’s the most obscene thing you plan to do in India?

Paul: Have a fivesome. In the back of my rickshaw.

Paul’s pre-fivesome selfie – he’s excited

What’s your biggest fear?

Fiona: Shitting myself. Again. Not sure I can take another case of ‘Deli Belly’.

Who’s the worst driver?

Hellie: I don’t have a driving licence. Could be a bit of steep learning curve.

A certain member of the team is especially vulnerable to the sun’s rays

How’s your Indian local knowledge?

Fiona: I only just discovered the ‘Taj Mahal’ wasn’t just my local takeaway.

What kind of reception do you think you’ll get from the locals?

Paul: Potentially hostile – Gee is very posh, and we’re pretty sure her family relatives were ancient overlords in colonial India.

Fiona: Her Mum is also making her wear a wedding ring. To ward of all those young Indian bachelors.

Paul ‘Massive Legend’ Bennett looking ‘tight and bright’ for zumba

If you’d like to support Rickin’ It in their preposterous adventure to India, and help them raise money for their chosen charities, check out their JustGiving page. You can also find their Zumbathon event on Facebook here. It’s Wednesday 18th June at Iffley Road Sports Centre.