Wadham votes to only serve vegan meals in hall

Wadham SU votes to only serve vegan meals to students at dinner

In a shock defeat for carnivorous Wadhamites, the Wadham SU has elected to support the serving of vegan-only meals at dinner every day of the week.

The motion, proposed by finalist Jamie Kenna, was initially termed “Meat Mondays” and was aimed at ensuring that only vegetarian food would be served for dinner four days a week on environmental grounds.

Kenna told the Tab, “Climate change is a term that so many people have heard, yet so many do nothing to prevent. I proposed this motion to make a statement of Wadham’s commitment to the cause and the kind of drastic change that needs to be made if we want to nullify the effects that global warming will cause if we continue to do so little about it.”

However, after an amendment by second year Historian Ben Szreter was accepted, the college took the far more drastic action of supporting an all-vegan dinner menu, rather than just a vegetarian one.

Szreter told the Tab, “The arguments for vegetarianism, in this context, had a logical end with veganism or even perhaps not eating at all. Thus I felt for consistency the motion had to at least go with vegan food for five days a week. I myself voted against the motion but it does embody the logical conclusion of some significant thought within Wadham SU.”

A typical Wadham meal from now on

Alexander Walker, Vice-President-Elect of Wadham SU and the previous leader of the “No to Meat-Free Mondays” campaign, had only the following to say: “I don’t eat in college any more, I don’t care”.

Rowan Davis, original proposer of Veggie Mondays has heralded this as “a move towards the end goal of abolishing the state, class and Capital, and moving towards a glorious queer anarchist commune”.

Annie Teriba, a fresher BNOC at Wadham paraphrased Marx, “Let the ruling classes tremble in fear at our vegan revolution; I’m so glad that our SU did the right thing. Only now can we free ourselves from the chains of global capitalism which force meat on us”.

However, not everything has welcomed the move. Steph Faulkner, a second year biologist at Wadham, opposed the motions on grounds of health concerns. She told the Tab “Some peoples dietary requirements such as allergies and intolerances mean that further limitations may make it difficult for them to maintain a healthy balanced diet, putting their health and work at risk.”

A spokesperson for the processed meat industry was not immediately available for comment.