Preview: Regent’s Final Fling

What to expect from Oxford’s most secretive college

Can you give us the vital statistics?

Time 7pm 14th June (Dining) and 8.30pm (Non dining), Regent’s Park College Quad, Price is £45 non-dining and £65 dining but we are currently completely sold out; there is a waiting list available though for those who want an extra shot at getting a ticket.

Regent’s: life and soul of the party?

So why should I bother going to Regent’s Fling?

We are Oxford’s most secretive college, which means that we have a lot of surprises in store for those who have never had the chance to be a part of our friendly community. Also because of our smaller size compared to the bigger colleges, we are able to ensure that every inch of the ball  has been tailored to our theme, which means that you’re bound to get swept up in the spirit of carnival.

Riding on World Cup fever? Or what made you decide on the Copacabana Carnival theme?

One of our members of committee is from Rio, and has worked closely with other Brazilian members of college (especially Thiago, on our staff) to ensure that the ball theme is as colourful and energetic as possible. Their many years of experiencing the realities of Rio De Janerio means that our ball is going to be the real thing; the most authentic Brazilian carnival that Oxford has ever seen!

Nothing says Brazil like a flag

Oxford’s not exactly known for beach culture and mad carnivals. How are you going to transform Regent’s?

We went for such a great theme that has so many opportunities for exciting decoration, so our plans are pretty huge; watch out for the (almost) life-sized Christ the Redeemer statue. In particular we wanted to reflect the dual nature of Rio; how bright and lively the beach it is in the daylight but also the darker, more sexy side of the city at night.

It’s just like being in Rio

I have a short attention span, what entertainment will be on offer?

In the quad there will be samba-stilt walkers and drumming to get everyone in the mood for a party. We also have a performance from Oxford’s salsa company early on in the night with an interactive class so that everyone can warm up their moves for the live performance from Dot’s Funk later on. Inside there is a RAG casino for those feeling lucky, and also downstairs there will be face painters and a photobooth so that you can capture you and your friends having the time of your lives in style.

I get hungry and thirsty, food and drink?

We’re staying true to the tastes of Rio with refreshing Caiprinhas being served at our beach bar and authentic Brazilian bolitas available all night, as well as sweet and savoury crepes and a traditional hearty survivor’s breakfast being served in the early hours.

Not a jager bomb in sight

Noise is nice, what music? Dot’s Funk Odyssey, Oxford’s best funk band, will be playing the headline slot at our Ball. Our line up also includes the Oxford’s SolSamba group, who will be sure to bring out the Latin moves in you that you never knew you had!

I’m nearly sold, what can you tell me to convince me? We wanted to have something that no other ball had; something that everyone attending would remember no matter how many Caiprinhas they’ve enjoyed. That’s why our Quad on the 14th of June will not only be populated by partying Oxford students, but also by some beautiful exotic birds.