Cambridge drinking society under police investigation for rape chants in Oxford

Drinking society Wyverns, from Magdalene Cambridge, caught on camera chanting about rape in Oxford

A notorious Cambridge drinking society, the Wyverns, are currently under police investigation after a video has emerged of men chanting about rape as they walk along Oxford High Street. Filmed by an Oxford student at the weekend, approximately twenty five men can be seen to walk around Oxford shouting a chorus of “rape” and chants about a girl being “too young” and “fifteen years old”.

Witnesses claim to have seen the Magdalene College drinking society pass through High Street, Cornmarket Street, and Walton Street.

The video was posted on the Facebook page of the Oxford feminist magazine Cuntry Living. Its members identified the Wyverns through their “Wyverns’ Garden Party 2013″ jackets and distinctive black and white caps.

A 22 year old female student at St Hilda’s filmed the men before reporting the incident to the police. She explained how she confronted some of the men at the scene, “The people I confronted seemed quite embarrassed. The first thing I said was, ‘Do you have a sister? Do you have a mother? Do you realise how this makes women feel to hear this?’ My heart was pounding.

“I think they knew they were doing something wrong but it’s the group mentality. I spoke to one and said, ‘Don’t you find this offensive?’ He said, ‘Why is it offensive? We are actually promoting women’s issues.’ After they said that to me I was speechless”.

Oxford students expressed their shock in the Cuntry Living Facebook group

The official spokesman for the drinking society, “Johnnie Wyvern,” took to Facebook to categorically deny allegations that current members of the Wyverns were responsible. A statement published on May 11, reads “The Wyverns would like to condemn the actions of those seen acting inappropriately in Oxford this weekend.

“This was NOT a Wyvern organised event and the video shows no current student to be taking part in the disgraceful chants.

“We find the behaviour seen in the video appalling and hope those who are involved are made to apologise.”

The Oxford student who witnessed the incident reported it to Thames Valley police on Sunday and investigations are understood to be underway.