Petition to bring back unisex toilets in Babylove

Students petition for the return of unisex toilets in Babylove bar

A petition calling for unisex toilets in Babylove’s new venue has been signed by 80 students. The petition says:

“Dear Martin Forde,we heard you were thinking of installing gender-neutral toilets in the new Baby Love venue.”

“They were one of the great features about the old venue, so we would love it if you did!”

The club, which was forced to close when Oriel college reclaimed the building as part of its plans to ‘redevelop King Edward Street’, will soon re-open in the Castle Tavern.

Reactions to the petition have been mixed, with Jakk Hayes, a French and Italian student at Wadham, saying:  ‘I think it was one of the best features of Babylove, I thought it was really important that of all the clubs in Oxford should have one.

It did a lot in the way of fostering a sense of everyone being equal and was just way simpler. Many a friendship was started in those unisex toilets.

Definitely need to make sure new Babylove has them, or else it just wouldn’t be the same accepting atmosphere as the old one’.

However, another student, who wishes to remain anonymous, has expressed concerns about privacy. They said ‘ I understand the need to create a feeling of everyone being welcome, but I’m not sure this is the way to go about it. I think it could make people feel uncomfortable’.

Click here to see and sign the petition.