Union Librarian walks out of debate in protest against President Sullivan

Cheers and applause are heard as the Librarian accuses President Sullivan of betraying the Union’s founding principles.

In a move that shocked the audience in the packed chamber, Union Librarian Kostas Chryssanthopoulos walked out immediately after his business in the first debate in protest at the actions of Union President, Ben Sullivan.

In a two minute speech to the chamber before the debate, Chryssanthopoulos explained his protest at the lies and abuse of members’ funds by Ben Sullivan:

“I joined this society because I believe in free speech and proper debate.”

“Following a persistent campaign against me for ever questioning [Sullivan], I have suffered personal attacks.”

“I refuse to sit next to a president who does not believe in freedom of speech…”

“I refuse to sit next to a president who believes that such actions are acceptable. I refuse to sit next to a president who does not believe in freedom of speech, and I refuse to sit next to a president who has lied to members and tried to cover it all up with your money.”

Chryssanthopoulos ended his speech with “It fills me with great regret to have to make this choice, and I sincerely apologise to you all… I cannot in all good conscience continue to sit here tonight and remain silent in the face of a President who shows such disdain for the society he has pledged to serve.”

Chryssanthopoulos walking out of the packed chamber to applause.

Upon finishing his speech, Chryssanthopoulos walked out of the packed chamber, leaving his seat vacant.

Immediately following the Librarian’s abrupt exit, the audience in the chamber rose in applause, cheering and yelling, before order was restored.

Sullivan, who was laughing throughout the Librarian’s speech, was booed when he attempted to regain control of the room.

During a speech by Charles Malton, the Treasurer, attempting to defend Sullivan’s actions, a member of the audience told him to “Sit down”, which was met with a round of applause.

His actions come after it was revealed earlier this week that Sullivan attempted to spend £1200 of Union members’ money attempting to gag the Tab from reporting allegations that Sullivan was a member of  “the Banter Squadron”- allegations that Sullivan knew to be true.