G & Ds slapped with 1 * hygiene rating

G&Ds cafe given 1 out of 5 stars in shocking assessment by Food Standards Agency

Oxford’s favourite ice cream cafe is on the verge of meltdown after news of horrifying hygiene standards reached students this week.

An assessment by the Food Standards Agency gave the Little Clarendon Street branch of the chain a rating of 1 out of 5 stars indicating, “major improvement necessary”. The assessment took place in January.

When contacted by the Tab, the ice cream moguls declined to comment but are understood to believe that the issue surrounds a debate concerning the placing of a hand sink within the store. It is understood that the company has requested a re-assessment.

The Little Clarendon street cafe is one of three G&Ds ice cream parlours in Oxford. By comparison, the other two branches came out squeaky clean in their assessments. The St Aldates cafe opposite Christ Church was awarded 4 stars, whilst the Cowley branch led the way with a pristine 5 stars.

It has yet to be seen if the rating will deter Oxford students. One student told the Tab, “This won’t put me off going to G&Ds at all. It’s an Oxford institution in itself and there simply isn’t anywhere else that compares when you want to meet up with friends for a late night chat and some brain freeze”.

G&Ds was founded in 1992 by two Oxford students named George and Davis who established the Little Clarendon Street shop as their flagship store.