Boat Race 2014 – The Course

The Tab shows you how to talk about the 4.2 mile course and bluff your way through today’s rowing chat

No idea what’s happening at The Boat Race? Don’t worry. Here’s our guide to the course so you can bluff your way through all the rowing chat today.

The Boat Race course is the most famous rowing course in the world, as well as one of the prettiest. The course was first used in 1845, and bar three times when it was rowed in reverse, has remained unchanged since. Here Tab takes you through the 4.2 miles of twists and turns from the comfort of your house.

The Start

Putney Bridge marks the start of the race. The crews will boat from the boathouses along the shore and warm up down river towards Wandsworth before lining up here to begin. The crews toss a coin beforehand to decide who gets which side. The Surrey side, to the right of the photo below, offers an early disadvantage but is commonly prefered as it is significant;y quicker around Hammersmith Bridge. The Middlesex side, to the left, allows crews to gain an early lead by Craven Cottage.

Looking downstream towards the Bridge

Craven Cottage

The next major landmark is Fulham’s ground Cra ven Cottage, which today hosts the Varsity Football match. Very early on the course whichever crew is ahead here will have had a better start, but the race has barely begun

Potential for three Oxford victories today as Varsity Football will kick off at 15:00

The Mile Post

A landmark in name only this isn’t even a quarter of the way into the race. It’s around here that the Middlesex starting side will aim to capitalise, if they gain enough a lead they can cut in front of the other crew and the race is all but over

Not really a landmark…..

Harrods’ Depository

The start of a huge left hand bend that favours the Surrey crew Harrods’ depository used to stroe furniture for the luxury retailer before being converted into luxury flats

Hammersmith Bridge

One of the best places to watch the race Hammersmith Bridge is tactically key. The cox, the small guy who steers the boat, has to aim for the second lamppost on the left to get the best line. This huge corner can make or break crews so it is vital they get it right

Chiswick Eyot

A island over to the right hand side of the Thames Chiswick Eyot marks the end of the major left hander. Here the crew ahead tend to put in a big push to break the crew behind, and the behind crew must really ramp up the power to remain in contact

Barnes Bridge

the right hander just before Barnes’ Bridge help the Middlesex starting side providing they’ve managed to hang on round the outside of the Hammersmith Bend. Crews still have about a mile to go at this point

looking downstream towards Chiswick Eyot

Looking upstream towards Barnes Bridge

Mortlake Brewery

Having shot Barnes’ Bridge the end is almost in sight as crews race by the Budweiser Brewery. Legs on fire, lungs aching crews will be digging deep for the very last reserves of power and energy they have

The Fullers and Budweiser Brewery

The Line

The 4.2 Miles are nearly over, 9 months of training all for this, which crew will cross the the finish first? Situated just before Chiswick Bridge this is the be all and end all.

The Podium

Here the winners will be presented the trophy, delivered by Royal Marines, the losers consoled.

We’ll be live blogging the whole race and all the drama in the lead up, right here in our LIVE coverage of the race!