Boat Race 2014 – Live Coverage

All the build up and action from the 160th Boat Race

| UPDATED blue boat boat boat race Cambridge oxford Rowing trenton varsity

20:15 Thank you to all 9,000 readers who joined us today and to everyone who read our coverage/my ramblings this afternoon. It’s been a pleasure to cover this 160th Boat Race for the Oxford Tab, and what a result! Read our race report here. This is Sam Maywood, saying thank you and signing out!

19:09 A less than delighted Cambridge…

19:05 More photos of the delighted Oxford crew

And Cambridge lose the Goat Race too, the indignity keeps growing for those poor fen dwellers

18:58 Ex MP and Oxford Alumni Louise Mensch is very happy with the result.

18:56 One Tweeter has found the cause of Cambridge’s loss.

More tweets!

18:53 Twitter exploding.

18:52 6 weeks ago Malcolm Howard’s son was born, and now he’s won the boat race!

that champagne moment!

18:45 Photos of the coxes being thrown in and trophies being presented can be found here!

https://www.facebook.com/sam.maywood/media_set?set=a.10202899061332920.1073741850.1094184362&type=3

18:43 He’s back!!! having crowbarred my way on to national television I’m back to man the blog.

18:27 PHOTOS!!!!! OXFORD!!!!!!
https://www.facebook.com/sam.maywood/media_set?set=a.10202898856087789.1073741849.1094184362&type=3

18:25 Oxford have landed, photos to come!

18:17 Oxford win the 160th boat race by a country mile!

18:16 And here we go, a foregone conclusion since Hammersmith.

18:16 Oxford’s just meters from the end.

18:15 And this looks like the end for Cambridge.

18:13 Oxford’s lowish rate looks like a comfortable paddle, don’t want it too high. Conversely Cambridge’s low rate looks the result of misery and pain, can’t get it higher.

18:12 This lead is just growing and growing, six lengths maybe, Cambridge will appeal, can’t see what will happen, they were moving over, umpire warned them.

18:10 Things just get worst for Cambridge, fighting back on flat water is doable, on choppy impossible.

18:10 keep the tweets coming

18:08
This is just the worst feeling in the world for Cambridge, there is nothing they can do, they can’t fight back from here, utterly utterly demoralised

18:06  Just seems to have been a crab, rowing in super rough water, cambridge too close to oxford, just an error, but such a painful one, feel so so sorry for cambridge two seat, worst feeling in the world.

18:04 The lead is substantial, two lengths, tabs demoralised.

18:02 Big push from Oxford, and without a significant increase in rate, just pure power from the legs, majestic!

18:01 Cambridge really throwing everything at, slight advantage to be expected due to the bend, Cambridge really squeezing Oxford.

18:00 Cambridge fight back from being down half a length, less than 600 strokes to go!

17:59 Rate 47 from Oxford off the start- massive!

17:58 And they’re off.

17:57 “it’s bumpy, it’s windy, it’s choppy, it’s bloody miserable” – report from the following launch of the reserve race.

17:55 Support pouring in for Oxford, hopefully they’ll repeat a dominant victory, more than 10 lengths the apparent gap of the reserve race .

17:53  Lifeguards and medics lined up on the finishing line. Two years ago Oxford’s bow Dr Alex Woods collapsed from exhaustion, here’s not hoping for repeat!

17:52 Oxford and Cambridge lining up on the start.

17:49 Victorious Isis crew celebrating a demolition of Cambridge.

17:45 Obscene victory for Isis, Goldie literally nowhere to be seen.

17:44
Isis just going past the brewery, disgusting lead.

17:42 Excitement ramping up among the Oxford supporters! Keep those tweets and Facebook posts coming.

17:40 Isis are dominating this reserve race.

17:36
Isis (Oxford reserve boat) have a massive lead in the reserve race, 5 lengths by Chiswick Eyot.

17:33 Competition time! Our competition is still running, the sexy dark blue scarf could be yours! just like and share our facebook post or retweet or twitter post!

EXCLUSIVE COMPETITIONOne lucky Oxford Tab reader will win some exclusive boat race stash. Just like and share this pic…

Posted by The Tab Oxford on Sunday, April 6, 2014

17:31 a quick recap of the course, Oxford are starting on the Surrey side, that’s the bottom of this handy map.

17:29 
Tabs are running scared already!

17:27 Oxford stroke Louloudis is a hit with the ladies.

17:25 
Criticism of the Beeb’s coverage, no such complaints against the Tab!

17:24 Isis goldie to start with in five minutes, half an hour til the main event!

17:19
And rather more cryptic from others.

17:18
Big support for Oxford from some.

17:15 More on the football

17:12
Weather is closing in, temperature’s dropped, wind’s picked up and the rain is beginning to intensify.

17:08 Cambridge Win! (but don’t worry, it’s just the football) Commiserations to the Oxford side, it was a tightly fought match, ending 4-2 to Cambridge on penalties.

17:07 If you’re a little rusty on the crews you can reread the tab’s exclusive coverage.

17:07 BREAKING: crews coming out of their boathouses!

17:05
Teddy Hall supporters gathering in the pub, send in your pics to @TheOxfordTab .

16:59 That sexy scarf again, this time decorating the Tab’s boat race HQ.

16:50 Like and share our facebook post and you could be the proud owner of some official boat race stash! Exclusive to the Tab!

16:45 Incredible scenes from the goat race, we have pigs in tutus! Keep the tweets coming!

16:40 COMPETITION TIME! 

Oh yes! Official boat race stash up for grabs! We’ve a dark blue (naturally) scarf up for a lucky winner, all you have to do is retweet @TheTabOxford’s tweet about it or like and share our facebook post!

16:35 Nothing as dull as a nil nil result in rowing! only one draw in 160 races, and that was just the result of dodgy umpiring!

16:34 FOOTBALL! Got a little carried away with my boat race coverage, forgot to mention the football result. But tbh you’ve missed not much, it’s still nil nil in an evenly matched game.

16:31 Yesterday I spoke to 40 year veteran of this stretch of river. He said that rounding Hammersmith Bridge the conditions could get really quite bad. And the bookies and crews seem to agree, both crews are sporting large splash boards in the bow to try to prevent flooding, but the odds of a crew sinking are just 25/1.

16:30 Assistant time keeper and Olympic Champion Martin Cross warns that conditions are beginning to get rough.

16:27 Just 40 minutes til the two crews boat to begin their warm up!

16:21 Oxford student Pete Budden got himself a #clarebaldingselfie! Keep the tweets coming!

16:21 Some meme mixing going on here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3GRSbr0EYYU

16:20 Anymore fashionistas want to get in contact? Tweet @TheTabOxford or @SJMaywood .

16:17
Cambridge’s bright green blue kit is promoting mixed reactions on twitter, I say mixed…

16:15 
Here’s a photo from the toss, via sponsors @BNYMellonRace .

BkjDH0zIgAEMmsV Happy Bunnies

16:12 Not to jinx anything but this is really looking like Oxford’s day. By taking the Surrey side all the have to do is hold off Cambridge round the bend by Craven Cottage. After that they will be rewarded with a  huge left hander. Cambridge must have a monstrous start a grab a length and half lead in less than a mile to be in with a chance, basically impossible, barring Trenton or blade breaking style incidents.

16:10 No surprises there. No side is physically faster, however there is a massive psychological advantage if you can make the Surrey side work .

16:09 Breaking OUBC win toss and take SURREY side

16:06 Some of the TV Trucks here at Putney seem a little confused as to what they’re covering….

16:00 Earlier in the week I had the pleasure of taking to water to watch one of Oxford’s trainings sessions on the tideway. Even at a low rate 20 paddle (half the rate they’ll be going in the race) the crew were charging along 16/17km/h showing just what a tremendous amount of power they have. Cambridge really have their work cut out if they’re going challenge Oxford today.

15:50
OUBC have teamed up with RAG for a special charitable endeavour. They’ve released a spotify playlist, follow it and money is awarded to RAG’s chosen charities!

15:45
Oxford struck a confident tone in their final press conference, but today is all that matters, just over two hours til the race!

15:40 This duck couple are looking forward to the race, are you? Tweet me @SJMaywood .

15:35 Football and Rowing aren’t the only two varsities happening today. Over in Camden the Fourth annual Oxford and Cambridge Goat Race is happening, Oxford have never won this unofficial varisty, could today be their day?

15:32 Some shots from training the past week, here Constantine Louloudis praticises his “Captain Morgan pose“.

15:30
Not so sure about this effort.

#Arty #oldschool #Nofilter

15:27
Support rolling in for our coverage!

15:25 Here’s our attempt at the “wellie shot”. If you’ve got any pictures send them in!

15:24 BREAKING! Both crews have just arrived in Putney

15:21
An event with as much history as this is filled with reporting clichés and tropes. The photograph of the wellies is one.

15:17 Making this year’s racing even more historic is that it will be the last time the men’s and women’s crew race separately. From 2015 the Women’s Blue Boats will also race on the 4.2 mile course .

15:12 Nice bit of Boat Race Legend! keep the tweets coming.

15:07 A recap of the day ahead:

15:55 There will be the coin toss for the Isis Goldie race (the reserve Race)

16:07 The toss for the main Boat Race

17:25 The Reserve Race (Isis vs Goldie, Isis the Oxford crew named after the stretch of the Thames that goes through Oxford, Goldies named after something else)

17:55 The Boat Race

15:00 185 years after the first race the Boat Race now has a completely different feel. While still the greatest celebrtion of ameatuer sport in the UK, it now attracts a wealth of elite sponsors. Hackett (gentleman’s outfitters), Jean Richard (watchmaker), Bollinger (of champagne fame) and Hunter (of poncey wellie fame) .

Not your average sports sponsorship. Newcastle can have Wonga…

14:55 The first race in 1829 was little more than attempt to settle a bet, with Oxford winning easily (let’s hope for a repeat of that today!). Today’s race is now watched by 17 million, and is a multi million pound industry – the subject of books, films and countless column inches.

14:51
Infact if they were feeling especially rebellious today’s crews could break both rules, apparently it is possible to waterski behind an 8. Might slow them down slightly….

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gs9oVbbK04o

14:48 Waterskiing may be prohibited by today’s crews will be doing almost  double the speed limit on the stretch of the river.

14:46 It’s all quiet in the media centre at the moment, still three hours til race time. Keep me sane and tweet in at @SJMaywood, what do think the result will be? Is Joe Edwards right, is rowing a waste of time? Let’s hear your views on the historic event!

14:41 Roads are being closed across Putney for the event, but with average house prices in the area a whopping £1.3 MILLION sympathy may be hard to come by.

14:37 
An army of fluorescent clad hired security will be manning the shores to prevent a repeat of the farce of 2012. The military are also out protecting the race but they wouldn’t let me take a pic.

14:30 Stat Time. Oxford are firm favourites going into the race, a £10 bet on our boys in dark blue will only bring a £3 return. While they’re behind in the series 78 to 81 they won last year and dominated in test races on the tideway against London clubs. Although a lighter crew , by 2.6kg, Oxford have huge experience, with three Olympians in the boat.

14:25 We surveyed the 4.2 miles 169 year old course so you don’t have to!

Whether you’re cheering the dark blues on from the race in person, or screaming at the TV at home, send us your photos and comments and get them included in our live coverage! Email to [email protected] or tweet to @TheTabOxford .

13:45 Also on today is the varsity football, making a return to Craven Cottage. Kick off is at 15:00 and we’ll be bringing you live match reports here as the game progresses.

Varsity Double Header: Fulham’s ground Craven Cottage where OUAFC will meet CUAFC for the Football Varsity Match

13:36 The weather is a marked difference to last year. Did a quick course inspection this morning along the towpath. It’s overcast but unlike last year’s biting cold it’s actually very muggy. It’s very humid and not all that cold at all. However the major factor will be the wind. The start at Putney is quite sheltered but once you reach Hammersmith bridge you can really feel it pick up.

13:35 Hello and welcome to the Tab’s coverage of the 160th Oxford Cambridge Boat. I’m Sam Maywood reporting from the Chiswick Media Centre at the finish. I’ll be providing you with live text and photo coverage through the day, as well as competitions and features. You can contact me via twitter @SJMaywood or through the comments.