LIVE: Henley Boat Races

Oxford’s Womens, Lightweights and top college boats racing against Cambridge crews

Last ever separate women’s boat race

The Tab is the only Oxford student paper reporting live from Henley

17:07 medals awarded, trophies presented and champagne sprayed, it’s been a great day down here at Henley. Oxford won the women’s race, the women’s reserve race and the women’s lightweight race. Full write up of the races with go up later

16:33 right I’ve got my facepainted, a free dark blue model taxi, some balloons, a hat and a t shirt. All in all a good haul

15:50 right that’s it until the presentation, I’m clocking off briefly to go on the hunt for some free stuff

15:42 Cambridge joy but it’s sad news for the boys in dark blue, they won last year at Dorney but the Tabs just too strong this year at Henley

15:41 Oxford are ramping up the rate as much as they can but it looks too little sadly

15:38 Cambridge Lightweights ahead by a length a bit

15:37  It was an Oxford whitewash last year, but it doesn’t look like it will this year

15:37  and they’re off

15:30 so here’s a photo of my desk instead

15:27 apologies for the lack of photos, the towpath is so crowded at four or five deep, it’s simply impossible. But can’t complain at the massive level of support at crews are receiving

15:21 Come on Oxford let’s make this four from four

15:19  An astonishing margin of victory of 4 lengths, just 5 seconds off the course record for the race. All Oxford’s hard work has paid off, bloody good work, congratulations are due to all involved

15:18 That’s three wins from the three varsity races for Oxford, domination, just the Lightweight men left

15:17 and there we have it, in a historic moment Oxford’s Women win the last ever women’s boat race at Henley

15:16 Another Oxford win!

15:15  last 200m Cambridge throwing everything at it

15:14  Over half way, and Cambridge ramping up the rate to try and keep up

15:13  and they have, Oxford have broken away, clear water between the boats

15:12  Oxford attempting to break away

15:12 Oxford charging ahead

15:11 And they’re off

15:06 Cambridge lead the series 41 to 27 but the moment is with Oxford. 9 of the last 12 races have been won by the crew in Dark Blue

15:02 There’s a brass band (currently chomping through a rendition of “Grease is the Word“), a magician and promise of a Punch and Judy show. The sun’s clouded over but the atmosphere’s still warm.

14:58 From 2015 the Women’s Boat Race will be held on the same course on the same day as the men

14:56 A historic moment coming up. The last ever race at Henley for the Women’s Boat Race

14:52 Oxford weren’t fazed by the choppy water and high winds, and calm clean strokes carried them to victory, had to see what Cambridge are appealing, but the provisional results means it’s two Varsity races to Oxford, but one a piece victories in the intercollegiate competition

14:51  Cambridge aren’t happy, they’re appealing

14:51 Oxford Lightweight women win

14:50 Oxford have a length and half of clear water, every stroke and they are looking more more dominant

14:49 Cambridge can’t make the higher rate work, they’re behind and their rate is dropping

14:47 It’s halfway and Oxford are looking good, rating a low 32 strokes per minute they look comfortable as Cambridge flog themselves for a higher rate

14:46 And they’re off! Oxford come back from behind to take the lead but it’s early day’s yet

14:45 It’s 35 since the first lightweight women’s boat race, and they’re underway now, both crews averaging less than 59kg per rower

14:40 The two crews are lined up at the start, waiting for the go

14:38  Oxford’s victory in the Women’s Reserve race was the third in three years. Oxford’s Lightweight women also come off the back of two wins in past two years so will be looking for the hatrick too

14:35 Clashes of blades in the previous race lead to snapped oar for Cambridge, with Oxford warned many times to stop blocking Cambridge

14:33 Next race up is the Lightweight women’s race

14:31 In the meantime Downing won the men’s college race but Oxford Women’s reserves won by half a length despite Cambridge appealing the result

14:30 Major technical issues sorry for the outage

13:53 Blades Clash! the two crews sprint for the line

13:52 Downing College Cambridge Slig