Arrest made over Plush Club attack

Man arrested in connection with assault of Teddy Hall student at Plush nightclub

An arrest has been made following a shocking attack against an Oxford student at Plush Lounge last week.

Jeanne Marie Ryan, an MCR student at Teddy Hall, was at the club last Saturday night when she was harassed by a man on the dance floor. After confronting the man, she says he punched her to the ground before beating her a further six times. Her attacker fled the scene, leaving her ‘bleeding profusely’ and with a ‘broken nose’.

Teddy Hall student Jeanne Marie bravely posted a photo of her injuries to Facebook to raise awareness of the attack

In a statement to Cosmo, Thames Valley Police said, “An 18-year-old man has been arrested and bailed in connection with a sexual assault at an Oxford nightclub. The man was arrested on suspicion of sexual assault in connection with the incident at the Plush Lounge in Park End Street, at around 2am on Saturday. The man, who is from the Edgware area of London, has been bailed to appear back at St Aldate’s police station on 1 April”.

Jeanne raised awareness of the attack by posting a photo of her injuries on Facebook in the style of the #nomakeupselfie trend, detailing the horrific details of her case. The student used her Facebook post to encourage people to donate to OSARCC (Oxford Sexual Abuse and Rape Crisis Centre) in support of her case.

At the time of writing, the post has been shared 10,044 times and donations to OSARCC on Jeanne Marie’s Just Giving page have totalled £15,484.

If you would like to donate to Jeanne’s cause, click here to visit her Just Giving page. You can find our more about Oxford Sexual Abuse and Rape Crisis Centre’s work here.