Preview: ‘Tis Pity She’s a Whore

We speak to director Will Felton about, amongst other things, incest

Hi Will, let’s start the vital stats – location, date, time. 

O’Reilly Theatre, Blackhall Road, OX1 3PG

5th – 8th March 7:30 pm and 2:30 matinee on Saturday 8th

‘Tis Pity is notoriously controversial. How does its racy topic relate to the 21st century?

It’s one of the few that’s kept up its raciness over the centuries.

What’s it like working on a play about incest? 

Work on the play itself has been fine as I’m not related to anyone in the cast; selling it to my step-grandma at our first meeting was more problematic.

What was behind the choice to move this particular production to modern-day London?

Largely because of the tone with which the play deals with its subject matter reminded me of the bits of contemporary popular culture that I enjoy the most. It’s controversial but it doesn’t revel in its controversy. It is sordid, violent, and erotic without cheering these things on or denouncing them.

Setting it in the modern day also allows for us to work in cultural reference points that help the audience understand the characters better. A rendition of ‘Que sera sera… whatever will be will be, we’re going to Wembley’ by one character at the end of the first scene nods towards the lad culture that is rife within the play, but not immediately accessible through the pentameter.

“Acting”

What kind of thing can we expect to see? Will we be shocked?

Well there’s lots of fake blood and a fairly raunchy consummation scene that we’ve added in if that’s what you mean. I think it’s actually quite hard to shock people though – it never works if you try to do it.

We’ve tried to make it as aesthetically interesting as possible.

The stage is split by a huge mezzanine structure, the bottom half of which is covered by a gauze. The live band (playing the kinks, blackstrobe, groove armada and many more) will be lit from behind and be seen in silhouette against the gauze.

We’ve hired in lots of extra lighting, hazers etc. for the fantasy scenes which, accompanied by the band and some wonderful choreography by Emily Romain, ought to be a bit of a treat.

What’s behind the choice to include live music and dance? 

My insecurity about doing a play rather than a film. The one big advantage theatre has over film is its physicality. I think any theatrical performance has to be as physical and live as possible. If people wanted to watch a quiet family drama they could just wang through some terrestrial at home.

Images (C) Oliver Robinson 

You can get tickets to ‘Tis Pity  here