Oxford Students Not Putin Up with LGBT Attacks

Close to a hundred Oxford students descend on the Rad Cam to send a message to Vladimir Putin

Students from across the university descended on the Rad Cam yesterday to quite literally send a message to Vladimir Putin.

For the event, organised by Oxford University Amnesty International, students met to pen messages on white boards and design postcards to be sent to the Russian President by the app Bypost.

Close to a hundred students from all colleges answered Amnesty International’s call to head to the Rad Cam yesterday afternoon and design their own message in support of the LGBT community in Russia and around the world.

The protest comes in response to a number of restrictions on LGBT rights and the right to peaceful protest within Russia, heavily publicised by the upcoming Winter Olympics in Sochi.

The students’ messages ranged from ‘LGBTQ rights are human rights too’ to the more direct approach, ‘F*ck you, Putin’.

Meanwhile, others embraced the Valentines season and sent a more soppy message to the Russian president.