Preview: St Anne’s Ball

What to expect from the only Oxford ball with an eiffel tower

Their first ball in FOUR YEARS, St Anne’s Ball is set to be one of the biggest in Oxford. We sat down with their team to get the low-down on what is promised to be a night of decadence centred around the most thrilling and lavish era in French and Belgian history.

Vital statistics?

Date: 10 May, just before real revision has to start. Price: £95, much less than any other summer ball. Location: Kingston Bagpuize House.

Better than St Anne’s

What sets St Anne’s Ball apart from the other balls happening in Trinity?

Firstly, this is our first ball in four years. You might remember the fiasco in 2013 where our ball had to be cancelled, so this time we’re taking no prisoners and feel the pressure to put on the best ball St Anne’s has ever seen. Also, while our college is a little off the beaten track, we’ve decided to move it to a beautiful location outside of Oxford. You’ll literally be transported to another era. Gone is Ali’s, Solomon’s and the fear you might be pissing off a studious finalist, because you’re at Kingston Bagpuize House and Gardens, whisked away from the mundane gloom of Oxford city centre.

But how will I get to this location?! I can’t afford a taxi, even if the ticket price is great. 

We’ve thought of that. Arrive at St Anne’s and you’ll be treated to a lavish reception with never-ending drinks, and a luxury coach will take you to your destination totally free of charge. It’s only about 20 minutes away, but enough to be a luxurious departure from college life. The coaches run all night for your return.

Not a kebab van in sight

Fin de siècle France is known for cuisine. Will the ball match up?

You’ll be gastronomically journeyed through the vineyards of Bordeaux, the quintessential Belgian chocolaterie, treat yourself to a petit crepe, or gorge yourself at the cheese table. You won’t Brie hungry.
Of course, there’s other ball favourites including donuts, pizzas, burgers and French cheese toasties – the Croque Monsieur.

What about the wine? 

It wouldn’t BE a celebration of the most decadent era in French history without a little vin. We’ll have loads on offer – swill our Sauvignon, Merlot, Claret, Pinot, the list goes on…

“I’ll have a red one.”

What if I don’t like wine?

Have a cocktail, or some bubbles! Whatever takes your fancy will most certainly be available at our bars.

OK, so I’m full of food and sipping wine, now I want to dance. What can I expect?

St Anne’s Ball offers you three stages – the main stage, the DJ stage, and the chill out tent. We’re delighted to have Summer Camp headlining our mainstage with fresh, eclectic pop sounds that will be absolutely perfect in our gorgeous green grounds. You might have heard We the Wild on the bastion of good TV “Made in Chelsea” and they’ll also be bringing indie-pop goodness to your ears. There’s house on the DJ stage with Crown Duels, cheese thanks to Oxford’s own Supermarket, and you can rock out at the silent disco, or mellow out to some jazz or acoustic sounds at the chill out tent.

Summer Camp: they promise to be just as edgy at the ball

I’m too full of cheese to dance. What else can I do?

Thanks to the gorgeous grounds of Kingston Bagpuize, you can oversee the beautiful view on the ferris wheel or hurtle down the helter-skelter. Maybe not if you’ve eaten too much cheese. Otherwise, perhaps you want to try your hand at the casino, visit the photobooth, watch the fireworks or have your keepsake photo taken in front of our 3m high Eiffel Tower.

Not to scale

YOU HAVE AN EIFFEL TOWER. I’M SOLD. How much are tickets and when can I get one?

Tickets go on sale on Saturday 1 Feb and retail at the very reasonable £95. You can find more information here