Smoke Without Fire: The E-Cig Debate

Are e-cigarettes just for self deluding idiots? STEVE WRIGHT investigates

If you’re a smoker chances are you have come across the E-cig in one form or another. Due to their convenient status as a medicinal product companies have been plastering bill-boards, covering websites and generally shouting about the presence of this new wonder product for the past few years.

Superficially they sound enticing. The same sensation of smoking; the same ritual of lifting hand to mouth; the same nicotine rushing into your lungs; all wrapped up in a cheap, cheerful and healthy package.

Looks like someone forgot their nicotine patch.

E-cigarettes are slowly becoming more and more popular throughout Oxford. I thought I would try them, so naturally went to Oxford’s finest boutique: Poundland. The first inhale on the small white, horrendously tacky stick made me feel closer to death than any cigarette. The vapour tasted something like blueberry after you’ve just brushed your teeth, tempered with some chilli bite. Keen to give it another shot I bore the storm and eventually after about seven tokes of tongue itching death the vapour began to taste of pretty much nothing; which was refreshing.

Over the next few days I tried to use it instead of cigarettes. It was a great experience, aside from the humiliation of pulling it out in groups of smokers and the complete inability of it to satisfy cravings. Smoking a cigarette gives you a nice window, five or so minutes to procrastinate from essay stressing or collections cramming, talk to your mates and generally unwind. With this thing you could pretty much puff it indefinitely until you feel sick, there’s no sense of having actually done anything.

Definitely don’t smoke a pipe. You’ll end up like this prick.

E-cigs as an alternative to smoking are crap. If you want to transition to a healthier version of smoking you want to get yourself a vaporiser. Vaporisers offer the benefits of an e-cig with an edge of geekyness. And they actually feel satisfying to inhale on, can taste rather pleasant (think a myriad of shisha flavours in your pocket) and instead of attracting looks of disdain are generally met with interest.

Vaporisers are not trying to be a way to stop smoking, it’s a healthier alternative to fags with a culture evolving around it. Even in the wastelands of the Midlands there are several ‘vape cafes’ where people come together, drink beer, compare hipster haircuts and chat about their favourite vapour blends.

What you imagine you look like when smoking.

When they eventually filter down into more mainstream culture vaporisers will be a great option for smokers looking to make a healthy change. E-cigs, however, are useless. If you are trying to quit they can help, and you can at least get a slight nicotine hit on a train or in your room. But as an everyday equivalent, no, god no.