Mo’ Hero

Meet the girl from Worcester who’s putting all the Movember men to shame

One Worcester student hasn’t let a lack of moustache growing ability get in her way of joining Movember.

Sarah sports an abacus inspired bead design

Sarah Payne has been determined to do Movember her own way.

Every day throughout this month, the third year Earth Scientist has been getting friends to hand paint a different moustache onto her face.

Whilst men all around Oxford have been sporting patchy ‘taches, Sarah’s upper lip has been home to swirls, polka dots and bat wings.

We caught up with her to find out how her Movember’s been so far…

How did you come up with the idea?

I asked a friend if they’d pay £2 to draw a tache on me and, having underestimated my friends enthusiasm to graffiti my upperlip, quickly realised that it wouldn’t be hard to find 30 sponsors and I could raise a decent amount of money.

The badminton lover wears a special shuttle cock design

How did you friends and family feel about your plan?

My dad called me a ‘daft bugger’ and looks unlikely to sponsor, but most have been very keen and my nan even sketched and posted me a design to draw on her behalf.

My boyfriend was a resounding “no, don’t do this, I don’t want to date a girl with a moustache” and paid for me to go barefaced for a day, but he’s coming round and is planning a nice handlebar for the end of the month.

Sarah wearing a Batman inspired tache

How long does it take your friends to draw the Mo’s on everyday?

It depends on the artist. I’ve had a few 20 second designs and some that take 5 minutes. It generally shows in the mo how much time was taken!

What have the reactions been around Oxford?

At first there was a lot of staring and a few laughs, but now it’s later in Movember and more men are sporting dodgy facial hair most people realise what it’s for. I’ve been told it’s unnerving by a few lecturers. My favourite thing is when people turn, aren’t expecting it and jump.

Looking elegant with a swirly tache

Any plans for your end of month finale yet?

Watch this space!

To support Sarah’s Mo efforts, you can click here to visit her donations page.