OPINION: Is the Independent a training ground for bad journalism?

Michael Rundle investigates.

After Catherine Tomas’ recent scream for attention, is it time we admitted the media has a problem with former Oxford students writing hand-wringing pieces about their alma mater?

The Independent prides itself on quality journalism. But now more and more articles feature Oxford graduates writing about how they are either ashamed they went to Oxford, or that Oxford has a problem with (insert topical issue here).

Catherine Tomas’ article is a prime example. The Pembroke RFC scandal has been met across the university with everything from disgust to ‘What a bunch of idiots’.

No-one I’ve spoken to has been in support of Woo Kim’s fairly pathetic attempt at a crewdate email, and I severely doubt anyone is.

Male students on their way to misogyny training, 10am-12pm

I suppose I’m an Oxford Man, but I severely doubt I fit Catherine Tomas’ ‘banter bus’ stereotype. I’m a state-schooled kid from Jarrow with an accent broader than the Channel, not the silver-spooned Etonian cutout that is readily wheeled out in the Press.

But that doesn’t sell to people’s preconceptions, so we don’t see that in the papers – only piece after piece about the Bullingdon, or a few mindless ‘Lads’, or access statistics.

Pieces like Tomas’ are endemic of the easy, cheap route: attack an institution that spends a lot of money on access work for being sexist/elitist/expensive.

What a disgustingly misogynistic building.

The Guardian, erstwhile champion of quality journalism, has a section on its website entitled ‘Oxbridge and Elitism’, dedicated solely to propping up the stereotype that Guardian readers enjoy hearing about.

The Independent has a recent piece, ‘University blues: Why this Bullingdon snap…’ which is equally terrible.

These authors are actively encouraging stereotyping, because deep down, they don’t care about changing Oxford or making sure more people like me get in.

They just want national bylines, and the easiest way to do that is to attack the institution that made them.

Do you agree or disagree and want to write a reply to Catherine or Michael? Please get in touch, email [email protected].