Desert Island Discs: Cai Wilshaw

The ex-Union Welshman reveals the songs he couldn’t live without

This week, we are treated to the musical tastes of Cai Wilshaw, a 2nd year classicist from St Anne’s.

Last year, Cai was implicated in a Union scandal resulting in him stepping down from his role as secretary due to accusations of sexism and computer hacking.

However, he appears to have put his past behind him taking on the ever prestigious role as head of the Oxford University Cocktail Society (‘Coc Soc’).

Can’t Be Tamed – Miley Cyrus

Cai says: “Miley’s lyrics remind me that I should never be constrained by the narrow socio-economic boundaries of our patriarchic and hetero-normative society.”

Hen Wlad Fy Nhadau – Welsh national anthem 

Cai says: “As a proud Welshman and the President of the Welsh Society, our anthem fills me with pride for our oviphile nation.”

Young and Beautiful – Lana del Rey 

Cai says: “Lana gets me through those difficult nights where gin is often my only saviour. It is also the theme tune of the Great Gatsby, which really says it all.”

Home – Edward Sharpe & The Magnetic Zeros

Cai says: “Every time I travel back to Cardiff, I listen to this song to enjoy returning to Wales and leaving the bubble at the end of term…”

Kids – MGMT

Cai says: “Not only is MGMT a bloody incredible band, but this song reminds me of the boundless enthusiasm of youth, and a zeal for life that I have most certainly lost since arriving at Oxford.”

If you’d like to be on Desert Island Discs, please email [email protected]