It’s Official: Oxford is more popular than Cambridge

More students want to study at Oxford University than ever before

Confirming what we all knew already, this year’s application statistics are out. And guess who topped the tables? That’s right: Oxford.

A record 17,480 students have applied to Oxford this year, which is nearly one thousand more than Cambridge’s poor effort of 16,500.

The numbers represent a 1.4% increase on last year for applications to Oxford, and a nearly 4% increase for The Other Place.

Cambridge’s student body

Overall by October 15th last year, 56,810 students had applied to universities across the UK, compared with a whopping 58,200 this year.

According to the UCAS statistics, the number of EU applicants has increased by 4%, but the number of non-EU applicants has gone up by 10%.

Ucas chief executive Mary Curnock Cook said that he found it “encouraging to see that the number of UK applicants for these demanding courses is holding steady, particularly as the young population continues to fall in this group.”

Want to write stories, take photos or make videos for the Tab? We’d love to get you involved, email [email protected].