OXGOSSIP: GOSSIP GIRL HITS OXFORD

Students across the university are being quizzed for salacious details on the private lives of their peers. An email account named only as OxGossip has sent emails to specifically targeted […]

Students across the university are being quizzed for salacious details on the private lives of their peers.

A typical scene from Magdalen formal hall

An email account named only as OxGossip has sent emails to specifically targeted students, seeking information for a column ‘to be launched in one of Oxford’s Student Newspapers’.

Emails leaked to The Tab indicate that the newspaper is the Oxford Student.

The emails address their recipients according to their supposed fields of interest within the university.

One such email proclaimed that Oxford students ‘deserve to know all the goss about ISIS and its edgy contributors’, encouraging the recipient to divulge ‘what you’re hearing, who’s with who, anything that could be of interest to Oxford’s only gossip column.’

Isis is a famous purveyor of saucy student gossip

Some students however, are disgruntled with the manner in which they have been addressed by OxGossip, with one describing the language as ‘juvenile, and not befitting of [a quality journalist]’ and another calling the unwanted emails ‘irritating and intrusive’.

When asked for comment on ‘OxGossip’, the editors of the Oxford Student, Tom Ough and Sarah Poulten, said that ‘We’re delighted to confirm that after a year’s absence, the Oxford Student is re-introducing the Librarian column. In recognition of Gossip Girl, one of the finest cinematographic achievements of our generation, we’re rebranding it as OxGoss.’

Regarding the alleged offense caused, the editors said that ‘anyone mentioned is, of course, in on the joke’.

OxGossip recently created a twitter account (@OxGossip) which at the time of writing the account has precisely two followers – not quite the 1.8 million enjoyed by the real Gossip Girl Twitter account.

Keep on truckin’

Want to write stories, take photos or make a video for the Tab? We’d love to get you involved, email [email protected].